Professional Orientation (Arts) (10333.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MR Ian MCHUGH (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (199433) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198305) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190832) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190831) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174792) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174790) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the Cultural Sector as a distinct field of vocational practice and cultural knowledge. Drawing on national and international examples from publishing, screen production and heritage, the unit will enable students to understand the role of specific cultural practices and vocations in the production and circulation of cultural texts and artefacts. The unit will focus on the practical activities and professional contexts by and in which culture is produced in an increasingly globalised world. Students will start their career awareness and planning through approaches such as five year plans and eportfolios.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the arts sector and related industries in the workplace;
2. Synthesise career planning and industry knowledge to map out personal academic and professional goals;
3. Understand the historical and contemporary contexts of relevant industries, how they contribute to the economy and society and how students can contribute to or create opportunities within these; and
4. Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism in an academic context in terms of academic integrity and responsibility.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2021
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2021
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial/workshop per week.
10334 Professional Orientation (Built Environment),
10335 Professional Orientation (Communication & Media),
10336 Professional Orientation (Design)
9799 Foundations of Professional Practice
Work Integrated Learning
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 221JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 223JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 224JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- 301JA Bachelor of Film Production
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation
- 985AA Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing