Functional and Developmental Disorders of Vision (10289.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Optometry|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Nicola ANSTICE (Ph: +61 2 62068582 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Nicola ANSTICE (Ph: +61 2 62068582 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (173958) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide students with a comprehensive overview of the nature, causes, assessments and treatments of functional and developmental disorders of the visual system across the lifespan.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the embryological and foetal development of the eye and the resultant ocular pathology if this process is interrupted;
2. Discuss visual development in children and develop guidelines for the management of common childhood visual disorders including refractive error, strabismus and amblyopia;
3. Explain how visual information is coded and relate the structure of the brain to vision disorders;
4. Diagnose ocular dystrophies and degenerations based on presenting signs and symptoms; and
5. Explain how human visual capabilities can be assessed and diagnosed using psychophysical methods.
4 hours per week, consisting of 2 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial/practical.
Ocular Anatomy and Physiology, 10285
Assessment of Vision 1, 10287
Assessment of Ocular Health, 10408 Must be enrolled in the Bachelor of Vision Science, 372JA