Speech and Language Disorders - Paediatrics PG (10269.2)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Speech Pathology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Jacqui MCKECHNIE (Ph: +61 2 62068583 ) INTENSIVE 2021 Semester 2 DR Jacqui MCKECHNIE (Ph: +61 2 62068583 ) INTENSIVE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (203183) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (190006) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180435) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit focuses on two Range of Practice areas in paediatrics - speech sound disorders and developmental and acquired language disorders. The unit is divided into two main modules: Assessment, including analysis, interpretation and diagnosis; and Management/Intervention. The use of holistic and evidence-based approaches will be a common theme throughout the unit. The impact of culturally and linguistically diverse populations will also be explored.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Triangulate knowledge of normal speech and language development with data from interaction and assessment to determining diagnosis of speech sound disorders, and/or language delay/disorders in children and adolescents;
2. Select appropriate clinical assessment procedures for speech sound disorders, and language delay/disorders in children and adolescents;
3. Analyse and interpret speech and/or language assessment data to facilitate differential diagnosis of speech sound and/or language delay/disorders;
4. Explain assessment outcomes to diverse audiences;
5. Work collaboratively to plan life goals and client centred evidence-based management for speech sound disorders and language delay/disorders in children and adolescents; and
6. Modify assessments and interventions for diverse client populations e.g. children with cerebral palsy, bilingual children; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
3 hours per week, consisting of lectures/problem based learning/workshops.
10266 Foundations of Communication Science PG AND 10268 Clinical Speech Pathology 1 PG
Must be enrolled in 371JA Master of Speech Pathology. Must be enrolled in 10272 Clinical Speech Pathology 2 PG.