Clinical Speech Pathology 1 PG (10268.2)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Speech Pathology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (193583) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (188992) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (173991) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the professional issues that impact and govern the speech pathology profession and introduces students to the clinical skills and professional competencies required of an entry level/graduate speech pathologist. The unit will use case-based scenarios, videos, role plays and naturalistic observations to develop students' skills in clinical data collection, analysis and interpretation, evidence-based planning and clinical management of communication or swallowing disorders across the lifespan. The unit will facilitate an understanding of culturally responsive healthcare practices.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the documents which underpin and govern professional practice in speech pathology (e.g. Speech Pathology Australia's Code of Ethics; Scope of Practice; Competency-based Occupational Standards);
2. Understand the processes involved in clinical data collection, management and analysis, and goal setting;
3. Describe the multidisciplinary nature of health care and demonstrate an ability to develop professional. relationships with other health professionals for both acute and long-term management strategies for clients;
4. Demonstrate ethical and professional clinical writing; and
5. Reflect on clinical learning, and their ability to develop professional relationships with peers and other health professionals.
3 hours of face to face lecture and workshop-based learning per week.
Must be enrolled in 371JA Master of Speech Pathology. Must be enrolled in 10266 Foundations of Communication Science PG.