|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Bernd GRUBER (Ph: +61 2 62063804 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185283) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182028) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169914) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is focused on developing a comprehensive understanding of scientific methods and how to analyse scientific data. The unit will include data from current research projects being conducted within the faculty. The unit aims to cover as many different science disciplines as possible in order to present students with the breadth of statistical methods available and to learn the different analytical approaches. Data from disciplines such as Ecochemistry, Wildlife and Forensic Genetics, Health, and Conservation Ecology will be used. Students will develop their problem solving skills and are expected to apply these to the data sets introduced during the unit.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Be able to apply prior knowledge of scientific methods in the analysis and interpretation of scientific data;
2. Demonstrate knowledge of existing statistical methodologies such as linear regression, ANOVA and hypothesis testing using parametric and non-parametric tests;
3. Develop an understanding of the key concepts underpinning each method and the associated assumptions and limitations. Acquiring problem solving skills to enable the resolution of new problems and data types
4. Be able to communicate effectively using well-developed scientific thinking; and
5. Develop independent critical scientific thinking.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
4 hours per week: Consisting of 2x1 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial/lab.
Data Analysis in Science, 1809.
6913 Biometry AND 6542 Experiment Design and Analysis AND 7904 Forensic Statistics
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science