STEM in the Early Years (10179.2)
|Level:||Level 4 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186885) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182457) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174739) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Early childhood is the natural starting point for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) learning. Young children are born explorers, investigators and scientists as they try to understand the world. They are capable of considerable learning in maths and science. Early childhood teachers can foster children's engagement and enjoyment of STEM but more importantly extend children's learning. In this unit students will learn ways to integrate STEM learning into everyday practice and curriculum planning. Environments for learning will include homes, early childhood settings and the community. Students will also learn the research and theory behind children's STEM learning. A ten day professional experience component is embedded within the unit where students will plan and implement STEM based lessons/program.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Plan and program STEM activities for children through intentional teaching, inquiry units, play and everyday routines;
2. Generate and pose questions that extend children's STEM learning;
3. Create challenging learning environments that promote STEM learning; and
4. Advocate STEM learning in early childhood.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
2 hours per week, consisting of workshops and 10 days of placement.
Must have passed 72 credit points including 10177 Inclusion and Intervention in the Early Years AND 10178 Philosophies and Pedagogies in Early Childhood Education.