Health and Wellbeing in Early Childhood Education (10171.2)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Zinnia MEVAWALLA (Ph: +61 2 62063868 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Zinnia MEVAWALLA (Ph: +61 2 62063868 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193963) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186766) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182476) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169348) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores how early childhood teachers can ensure that children?s health and safety in well supervised environments where regulations are meet within a context of children gaining a strong sense of wellbeing and responsibility for themselves and others.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of current health and safety requirements and the skills to promote children?s awareness and appreciation of these in combination with children's own agency and promotion of safe and healthy behaviours;
2. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to promote healthy eating, nutritious provision and handling and appropriateness of hygienic and healthy eating and drinking routines and rituals;
3. Demonstrate the skills of establishing and maintaining safe and healthy environments for children as a foundation to a curriculum of education underpinned by a reciprocal ethos of caregiving for self and others;
4. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills combining caregiving routines in educative pedagogies to ensure the physical, mental and cultural wellbeing of children; and
5. Demonstrate how pedagogies can support children's development of a strong sense of wellbeing so that they can recognise and contribute to an increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing and that of others.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2020
3 hours per week, consisting of lectures, tutorials and 40 hours of placement.