Pedagogy of Relationships in Early Childhood Education (10170.2)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Zinnia MEVAWALLA (Ph: +61 2 62063868 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Sandra HEANEY-MUSTAFA (Ph: +61 2 62015387 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193964) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186767) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182477) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169345) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the premise of relationships being the core of early childhood education. It construes the nature of relationships with others and the environment as being secure, respectful and reciprocal and will be investigated within a framework of diversity, communities and ethics.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to support children to develop and maintain effective relationships toward themselves and others, and to promote positive behaviour to this end;
2. Demonstrate the application of strategies to guide responsible and restorative behaviours within relationships between children, adults and peers in a safe and supportive group environment;
3. Demonstrate the skills, knowledge and strategies to work in partnership with families and community toward educative and caring appropriate to each child and culture;
4. Demonstrate the knowledge, aptitude and skills required to be culturally competent and ensure the participation of all children and families in early education. It includes actively contributing to children?s curiosity and valuing of individual, familial and cultural diversity; and
5. Demonstrate the knowledge, skills and techniques for collaboration with others in the inclusion of all children who may need further support.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
3 hours per week, consisting of workshops and 40 hours of placement.