Introduction to Estimating and Measurement (10140.2)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Winter Term MR Hamed GOLIZADEH (Ph: +61 2 62012757 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195470) - View
- Winter Term, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194861) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190965) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192309) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (178432) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178433) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (163026) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169648) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit aims to provide an introduction to the role of quantity surveying and estimation in the construction industry. Students will acquire knowledge of and understand basic concepts of accepted drawing conventions and formats including architectural and engineering drawings and how building specifications are prepared and structured. Students will become aware of the purpose of measurement and estimating in the construction industry and be able to demonstrate how to measure simple architectural and engineering structures using industry accepted methodology.
Student will be introduced to the sources of information for estimating and measuring construction projects.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Measure simple building elements using industry standard measurement techniques;
2. Demonstrate how common construction rates are built-up including the constituents of material, labour, plant, overheads and profit; and
3. Define building elements as stated in the AIQS ACM manual.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Winter Term, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Winter Term, 2019
3 hours per week.
It is recommended that students have Year 12 Mathematics and English.
8519 Estimating and Measurement 1