Secondary Design and Technology PCK 1 (10094.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MRS Michaela VERGANO (Ph: +61 2 62015028 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 MRS Michaela VERGANO (Ph: +61 2 62015028 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193969) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186771) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182500) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165659) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (156756) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to develop a pre-service teacher's pedagogical content knowledge for Design and Technology teaching. The key elements of pedagogy and planning for diverse learners are examined and applied to the teaching of Design and Technology. Pre-service teachers will critically address how these elements can then be combined into effective classroom practice for addressing the requirements and philosophy of Design and Technology.
This unit is the first of two units dealing with Secondary Design and Technology PCK which includes a professional experience placement. In this unit students will engage in a placement for 15 days in a Secondary School providing the opportunity for pre-service teachers to demonstrate the ability to plan and teach for a sustained period of time consolidating their teaching skills.
On successful completion of this unit, student will be able to demonstrate that they have:
1. Acquired an understanding of key theoretical and pedagogical perspectives in the teaching of Design and Technology from Years 7-12;
2. Planned and designed Design and Technology lessons and units of work that may be suitable for the diverse social and cultural backgrounds and experiences of students;
3. Gained a familiarity with various Design and Technology curriculum documents and support materials from the ACT and NSW in relation to syllabus/frameworks/lesson design/monitoring of learning outcomes;
4. Gained understandings and skills in developing student literacy and numeracy through Design and Technology; and
5. Used and creatively integrated information and communication technologies (ICTs) to enhance student engagement and conceptual understanding of Design and Technology.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
Semester 1, 2019
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2018