Specialist Major in Cybersecurity and System Administration (SM0056.1)
Faculty of Science and Technology
Academic Program Area - Technology
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2019 End Date: Current Version
The major in Cybersecurity and System Administration provides an opportunity for the students to gain specialist technical knowledge and practical skills in understanding the security threats and challenges associated with digital transformation and IT enabled solutions. It will allow proficiency in identifying, diagnosing, analysing and handling the challenges associated with computer crime, sound understanding of concepts associated with digital forensics, and expert skills in evaluating software for security vulnerabilities, performing risk assessments, designing and securing operating systems, networks, websites and databases, and responding to cyber security incidents. An intensive, extended work-integrated learning experience and the capstone project will allow the students in this course to practice the cyber security and system administration skills. This major allows graduates to seek roles as cyber security specialists, security consultants, cryptographers, IT security engineers and digital law enforcement specialists.
1. Basic knowledge and skills in ICT (Information and Communication Technology) basic numeracy and literacy skills for Beginning (1) level units in this unit set, and 2. Completion of some of the Beginning (1) level ITS Core Major units for Intermediate (2) and Advanced (3) level units in this unit set.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
- Required - Must pass 15 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - 9 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
Part B - Must pass 6 credit points from the following
- any units offered by the School of Information Technology & Systems, with at least 3 credit points at Advanced (3) level, including the following units:
- 7899 - Information Sciences Internship - 3 cp, Level 3
- 10152 - Information Sciences Internship (Extended) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11480 - Advances in Information Sciences and Engineering - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11487 - Information Security - 3 cp, Level 2
- 1. Restricted Choice units should be chosen to either meet the prerequisites of the units in the Major or to complement Major units for a better learning outcome.
- 2. Students who have not studied 11487 Information Security in other Majors should choose this unit instead of a Restricted Choice unit.