Specialist Major in Software Engineering (SM0053.1)
Faculty of Science and Technology
Academic Program Area - Technology
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2019 End Date: Current Version
The major in Software Engineering equips graduates with knowledge and skills of programming of complex, large-scale software systems, and will make them proficient in the technology building and development of software specification, design, coding, configuration management, version control, testing and maintenance, with a solid foundation in computer science, operating systems and hardware-software interaction, and know how to use modern languages and tools to create cutting-edge applications. Students in the BSE course can choose to specialise in cloud computing and IoT, cyber security and system administration, data science applications development, robotics and artificial intelligence etc., with a high-level awareness of professional ethics, responsibilities, values and standards. Students will have the opportunity for an intensive, extended work-integrated learning experience or an in-depth major, with a capstone project allowing them to practice their software engineering skills. The Bachelor of Software Engineering graduates may seek roles as software engineers, applications software developers and system designers.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 4483 - Software Technology 1 - 3 cp, Level 1
- 6698 - Discrete Mathematics - 3 cp, Level 1
- 7170 - Software Technology 2 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 7175 - Web Design and Programming - 3 cp, Level 2
- 9789 - Technology and Engineering Management - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11489 - System Software - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11491 - Software Systems Architecture - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11492 - Mobile Technologies - 3 cp, Level 3