Specialist Major in Nutrition Practice (SM0043.1)
Faculty of Health
Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The Specialist Major in Nutritional Practice offers students the opportunity to extend their studies in nutrition. This major can be combined with the Core Major in Nutrition Foundations (CM0021) and Specialist Major in Nutritional Science (SM0042) to provide a comprehensive coverage of nutrition. It is recommended for students wishing to pursue a career as a professionally registered nutritionist or undertake postgraduate studies in dietetics.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 18 credit points as follows
- 8251 - Food Science - 3 cp, Level 2
- 8253 - Nutrition Across the Lifecycle - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8259 - Nutrition, Society and Health - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8580 - Epidemiology and Principles of Research - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8721 - Sports Nutrition - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11398 - Introduction to Research in the Health Sciences - 3 cp, Level 1
Restricted Choice - 6 credit points as follows
Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 10009 - Health Promotion Principles and Practice - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11399 - Understanding People and Behaviour - 3 cp, Level 1
- From Sem 1 2020 unit 11399 Understanding People & Behaviour has been replaced by 10009 Health Promotion Principles & Practice. Students commencing from 2020 must pass 10009 to complete this major.
Part B - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- From Sem 1 2020 unit 9631 Food, Health and Environment has been replaced by 11577 Global Nutrition. Students commencing from 2020 must pass 11577 to complete this major.
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following