Specialist Major in Architecture (SM0013.1)
Faculty of Arts and Design
School of Design and the Built Environment
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The Architecture Course major offers a dynamic creative and technical program for students with an interest in architectural studies. Successful completion ensures the skills and knowledge necessary to practice in the built environment industry, and additionally provides the basis for direct entry into to the Master of Architecture program. Underpinned by studies in design, history and theory, building technology and representation, the course presents a critical and analytical approach to the dialogue between architecture, site, program, and landscape. Material and tectonics are investigated, and form and space are explored within a diversity of cultural and environmental settings. Interactive design studios form a core component of the degree. Starting with the elements of architecture, each subsequent design studio critically examines architecture's rapport with various aspects of nature, working towards architectural projects that intertwine the natural with the cultural realm. Particular emphasis is given to the formal and aesthetics of urban architecture and the semantics of civic work. Design studios are supported by historical and theoretical knowledge central to the transformation of design into a constructed form, material into materiality and tectonics. Various construction systems and issues relevant to the creation of a sustainable environment support and expand the scope of design work. Of significance to the experience of the course major is the prioritisation of industry engagement through the delivery of 'live' projects, and participation of leading design professionals and industry practitioners.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 30 credit points as follows
- 10187 - Built Environment Technology 1 - 3 cp, Level 1
- 10188 - Built Environment Technology 2 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 10189 - Built Environment Technology 3 - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11020 - BE: Design Studio - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11021 - BE: Visual Communication - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11022 - Architecture: History & Theory 2 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11023 - Architecture Studio 1 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11024 - Architecture: History Theory 3 - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11025 - Architecture Studio 4 - 6 cp, Level 3
Restricted Choice - 6 credit points from the following
Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 11131 - Space, Time and Form - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11625 - BE Digital Design Techniques 02: Prototyping Space - 3 cp, Level 2
- From 2021 11625 Digital Design Techniques 02: Prototyping Space has replaced 11131 Space, Time & Form. Students who have not already passed 11131 must complete 11625.
Part B - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 11135 - Real Time Environments - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11626 - BE Digital Design Techniques 03: Digital Cities - 3 cp, Level 2
- From 2020 11626 Digital Design Techniques 03: Digital Cities has replaced 11135 Real Time Environments. Students who have not already passed 11135 must complete 11626.
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following