Specialist Major in Visual Communication Design (SM0012.1)
Faculty of Arts and Design
School of Design and the Built Environment
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
This major provides students with a well-rounded understanding of the general principles and techniques of visual design for effectively communicating ideas, information, and packaging products, in digital and other formats to business and consumer audiences. It focuses on design in the global marketplace and students become well versed in understanding how to design for different cultural contexts. Along with a solid understanding of the theory and practice of communication design, students will learn key applications and techniques, giving them the skills needed for a multitude of roles within the visual communication industry.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 11062 - Visual Communication Theory and Principles - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11063 - Principles of Typography and Layout - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11064 - Design for Digital Contexts - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11065 - Visual Branding and Identity Systems - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11066 - Experiential Graphic Design - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11067 - Packaging Design and Communication - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11068 - Cross-Cultural Design Strategy - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11069 - Information Visualisation - 3 cp, Level 3