Major in Literacy and Numeracy Education (MJ0277.2)
Faculty of Education
Academic Program Area - Education
Information for Current Students
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2018 End Date: Current Version
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2016 End Date: 31/12/2017
This major addresses issues relevant to today?s educational environment. It is critical that teachers have a well-regarded set of skills in, and an understanding of, essential literacy and numeracy. Primary teachers also need to be well-equipped with a working knowledge of basic statistics (given the huge range of amassed data with which teachers are now presented) along with good IT skills. In particular, such teachers need enough of an understanding in these areas to be able to prepare for, and conduct classes where-in students are having difficulties with, and have developed misconceptions of, the basic skills in Literacy and Numeracy.
Required - Must pass 21 credit points as follows
- 9863 - Core Literacy - 3 cp, Level 1
- 9864 - Core Mathematics - 3 cp, Level 1
- 9871 - English Literacy for Educators - 3 cp, Level 2
- 9880 - Issues in Literacy Development and Teaching - 3 cp, Level 4
- 9882 - Linguistics for Educators - 3 cp, Level 1
- 9883 - Mathematics in the Differentiated Classroom - 3 cp, Level 4
- 10354 - Using Data to Improve Learning - 3 cp, Level 3
Restricted Choice - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 9878 - Information and Communication Technology Literacy - 3 cp, Level 2*
- 10450 - Ways of Knowing, Being and Doing in Education - 3 cp, Level 1
- From 2021 unit 9878 has been replaced by unit 10450. Students who have passed 9878 do not need to pass 10450.
Please Note: Units marked with an * are no longer active, however students who have completed these units may still count them towards completion of this major or minor.