Major in Early Childhood Learning (MJ0274.1)
Faculty of Education
Academic Program Area - Education
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2016 End Date: Current Version
This major addresses issues relevant to today?s Early Childhood educational environment. Teaching has many dimensions. It embraces curriculum knowledge, practical skills, effective pedagogies, leadership and a moral dimension that includes a culture of care and ethical standards for professional behaviour. Teaching is therefore a form of work in which professional knowledge, skills and competencies, underpinned by critical reflection and practical theories of action, are applied to a context focused on individual and collective growth. This Major in Early Childhood Learning provides opportunities to develop high levels of skills and knowledge together with personal, professional and ethical understandings essential for effective teaching within Early Childhood settings.
Required - Must pass 18 credit points as follows
- 10176 - Critical Reflection in Early Childhood Education - 3 cp, Level 2
- 10177 - Inclusion and Intervention in the Early Years - 3 cp, Level 2
- 10178 - Philosophies and Pedagogies in Early Childhood Education - 3 cp, Level 2
- 10179 - STEM in the Early Years - 3 cp, Level 4
- 10180 - Leadership in Early Childhood Education - 3 cp, Level 4
- 10181 - Addressing Challenges in Early Childhood Education - 3 cp, Level 4*
Please Note: Units marked with an * are no longer active, however students who have completed these units may still count them towards completion of this major or minor.