Major in Analytical Chemistry (MJ0178.2)
Faculty of Science and Technology
Academic Program Area - Science
Information for Current Students
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2014 End Date: Current Version
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2010 End Date: 07/11/2013
THIS MAJOR IS CLOSED TO STUDENTS COMMENCING IN 2021 OR LATER. Analytical chemists are essential to the operation of most laboratories such as manufacturing, processing, minerals, environmental, forensic, pharmaceutical and many other industries. They use sophisticated instrumentation for the analysis of materials. The Analytical Chemistry major provides a body of knowledge in chemical analysis and a range of skills necessary for a career in modern analytical or industrial laboratories. These skills are gained in laboratories that are well equipped with modern instrumentation. There is a wide range of graduate destinations such as research and development, technical services, quality control laboratories, postgraduate research opportunities.
Prerequisite and/or Corequisite:
Students choosing to enrol in unit 6530 Biochemistry as part of this Major must first have completed unit 0483 Concepts in Biology as well as 1516 Chemistry 1a.
Students choosing to enrol in unit 6530 Biochemistry as part of this Major must first have completed unit 0483 Concepts in Biology as well as 1516 Chemistry 1a. To enrol in unit 3238 Research Project in Applied Science (3), students require an above average academic record, and permission of the Course coordinator based on a full statement of objective(s) and an outline of the study to be undertaken.
- Required - Must pass 12 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - 6 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
Part B - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 3238 - Research Project in Applied Science (3) - 3 cp, Level 3*
- 6926 - Toxicology - 3 cp, Level 3*
- 8780 - Forensic Toxicology and Drug Analysis - 3 cp, Level 3
- 9632 - Research Project in Applied Science - 3 cp, Level 3
- 9632 Research Project in Applied Science has replaced 3238. Students who have previously completed 3238 may still count it towards course completion.
Please Note: Units marked with an * are no longer active, however students who have completed these units may still count them towards completion of this major or minor.