Core Major in Information Technology and Systems (CM0018.1)
Faculty of Science and Technology
Academic Program Area - Technology
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The core major Information Technology and Systems (ITS) provides students with the essential core knowledge and skills in the field of information and communication technology (ICT). Through this major, students will be armed with a solid foundation of a good understanding of the ICT profession including professional ethics, professional expectations, team work skills, communication skills, societal issues, legal issues, and privacy issues etc. Students will also be able to demonstrate the synthesis of knowledge and skills acquired throughout their coursework study to formulate and implement ICT solutions by taking into consideration professional practice, code of ethics, and professional standards of the industry under the context of social and economic constraints, legal and ethical issues, risk and benefit balance, technology availability and stakeholders' acceptance etc.
Core majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 21 credit points as follows
- 4478 - Introduction to Information Technology - 3 cp, Level 1
- 5915 - Database Design - 3 cp, Level 1
- 7722 - Professional Practice in IT - 3 cp, Level 1
- 9785 - Information & Communication Technology Project - 6 cp, Level 3
- 11408 - Technological Innovation and Entrepreneurship - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11486 - Systems Analysis and Modelling - 3 cp, Level 1
Restricted Choice - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 6348 - Information Systems in Organisations - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11485 - Introduction to Network Engineering - 3 cp, Level 1
- 1. Students in the BIMT, BIT, BSE or BET courses should choose 11485 Introduction to Network Engineering.
- 2. Students in the BBI course should choose 6348 Information Systems in Organisations.
- 3. Students in the BSE/BBI combined course should do both 11485 Intro to Network Engineering AND 6348 Info Systems in Organisations. The extra cps will count towards the chosen Specialist Major.
- 322AA.8 Bachelor of Information Technology
- 560AA.7 Bachelor of Software Engineering
- 706AA.8 Bachelor of Business Informatics
- 838AA.4 Bachelor of Software Engineering/Bachelor of Business Informatics
- ITB001.1 Bachelor of Information and Mainframe Technology
- ITB101.1 Bachelor of Engineering Technology
- MGIT01.2 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGIT02.2 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGIT03.2 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics