Core Major in Event and Tourism Management (CM0010.1)
Faculty of Business, Government & Law
Canberra Business School
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The event and tourism industries are fast growing and require a skilled and experienced workforce to help drive forward their growth and sustainability. Tourism directly contributes almost 3% to Australia's GDP, similar to the agriculture sector. This course explores the nexus between the events and tourism industries and is underpinned with a foundation in business studies that will develop knowledge and skills relevant for those students seeking a career in the event and tourism industries. Events considered, both in tourism and non-tourism contexts, may include sports, festivals, conventions, meetings, and community activities. Key elements of the course are the development of teamwork skills, critical thinking and the pursuit of workplace experiences to enhance the employability of students upon graduation, who are seeking careers in the diverse and evolving event and tourism industries.
Core majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 11009 - Business Decision Making - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11011 - Professional Orientation (Business) - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11172 - Business Research Methods - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11174 - Introduction to Management - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11175 - Introduction to Economics - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11210 - Destination Management and the Visitor Economy - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11211 - Professional Evidence (Event and Tourism Management) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11320 - Event Management - 3 cp, Level 3