Core Major in Commerce and Accounting (CM0005.1)
Faculty of Business, Government & Law
School of Business
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The BGL Core Major is a cohesive and scaffolded stream of professional education units that will enable students to integrate theoretical learning with practice throughout their degrees through authentic, real-world learning experiences. The new world of work requires agile, multi-skilled professionals with the transferable employability skills and critical and creative abilities to work across their industries and to craft diverse and new employment paths. This Professional Core stream will equip students to succeed in this fluid environment. Academics and industry will work together to facilitate a range of diverse opportunities for students - from internships and placements to industry projects and competitions, exhibitions, study tours, virtual real world learning experiences and more ? to ensure an iterative and fully integrated professional and academic education. Through this dedicated focus our students will be professional, career-ready graduates: collaborative, self-aware, critical thinkers with contemporary and theoretical knowledge and practical skills.
Core majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
Required - Must pass 18 credit points as follows
- 11009 - Business Decision Making - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11010 - Professional Orientation (Commerce) - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11165 - Quantitative Methods in Commerce - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11171 - Professional Evidence (Commerce) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11174 - Introduction to Management - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11175 - Introduction to Economics - 3 cp, Level 1
Restricted Choice - Must pass 6 credit points from the following
- 9628 - International Business Study Tour - 3 cp, Level 2
- 10158 - Business, Government & Law Extended Internship - 6 cp, Level 3
- 10236 - Business, Government & Law Professional Internship - 12 cp, Level 3
- 11166 - BGL Internship (Commerce) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11167 - BGL Internship (Business and Management) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11168 - BGL Internship (Government and Policy) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11169 - Organisational Communications, Culture and Change - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11170 - Business Communication - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11379 - Social Enterprise - 3 cp, Level 2
- 11572 - Accounting Internship Preparation - 3 cp, Level 2
- Unit 11572 Accounting Internship Preparation is only available to students undertaking an Accounting major.
- Credit Points: Students who want to do more than 6 credit points from this list may count them towards Open Electives.
- International Exchange: Students may also choose to undertake units at an international institution, subject to approval by the Program Director.
- MGB001.1 Bachelor of Accounting
- MGB301.1 Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
- MGB302.1 Bachelor of Commerce (Business Economics)
- MGB303.1 Bachelor of Commerce (Finance and Banking)
- MGB304.1 Bachelor of Commerce (Financial Planning)
- MGB304.2 Bachelor of Commerce (Financial Planning)
- MGB305.1 Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting and Finance)
- MGIT01.1 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGIT01.2 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC01.1 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws