Core Major in Design (CM0003.1)
Faculty of Arts and Design
School of Design and the Built Environment
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
The core major includes an introduction to the fundamentals of design and design practice with essential transferable employability skills. These include design related communication skills, design and creative approaches to problem identification and problem solving, the understanding of the user as a central focus of design and the importance of understanding cultural and society in the context of design. Professional Practice Units include industry relevant orientation, authentic project-based learning, culminating in a capstone/major project and/or exhibition.
Core majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
- Required - Must pass 15 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - 9 credit points as follows
Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 11043 - Introduction to Interaction and User-Centred Design - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11655 - Introduction to Interaction Design - 3 cp, Level 1
- From 2021 unit 11043 has been replaced by unit 11655. Students who have already passed 11043 do not need to pass 11655.
Part B - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 11042 - Introduction to Design Thinking Techniques - 3 cp, Level 1
- 11656 - Design Thinking and User Centered Design - 3 cp, Level 1
- From 2021 unit 11042 has been replaced by unit 11656. Students who have already passed 11042 do not need to pass 11656.
Part C - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- 11018 - Professional Practice 2: Work Integrated Learning - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11574 - Professional Practice: WIL Studio 3 - 3 cp, Level 3
- Students enrolled in ARB201 B Design (Industrial Design) must complete 11574 Professional Practice: WIL Studio 3. All other students should complete 11018 Professional Practice 2: WIL.
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- ARAR02.1 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB201.1 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design)
- ARB202.1 Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)
- ARB203.1 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design)
- MGAR02.1 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- SCAR03.1 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCAR04.1 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Design