Breadth Major in Sports Media (BM0034.1)
Faculty of Arts and Design
School of Arts and Communications
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
If you know your sport, you like telling stories and want to report on the events that often captivate the nation and the world, this specialisation brings together those interests and skills to prepare you for a variety of career opportunities in the sports media industries. The Sports Media Major is founded on the principles of journalism. You will learn how to research, produce and present sports stories in text, visual and audio formats for mobile, online, social, broadcast and print media. Your sports media experience will be practical. You will learn how to report on 'live' sporting events, interview elite athletes and coaches, and host your own podcast and TV panel show. The role of sports media practitioners is not confined to telling stories about events in the sporting arena; you will explore the media's role in reporting on sport's influence in Australian society and a broader global context.
This breadth major is not available to students in the Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media) and Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism) courses.
Required - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 11087 - In-Depth: Feature and Specialist Writing - 3 cp, Level A
- 11088 - Data Journalism - 3 cp, Level I
- 11089 - Video Live - 3 cp, Level I
- 11090 - Newsfeed - 3 cp, Level A
- 11092 - Game On: Sports Journalism Foundations - 3 cp, Level B
- 11093 - Sideline Eye: Sports Reporting - 3 cp, Level B
- 11094 - Live and Exclusive: Sports Broadcasting - 3 cp, Level I
- 11095 - The Sports Journalist: Ethical, Lawful and Professional - 3 cp, Level A