Learn to teach a language and open a world of possibilities!
Language teachers are in demand in Australia and around the world and UC’s Master of TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching degree delivers the practical skills and knowledge that will help students of English and other languages reach their full potential.
No previous teaching experience or qualification required!
You’ll explore teaching methodology and practice, linguistics, oral communication, language acquisition and curriculum design – and how to apply these in numerous language education settings. Your new understanding of people coming from a wide range of cultural, social and religious backgrounds will also equip you with the valuable knowledge and skills needed to nurture your students’ futures in the workplace and beyond.
Build your skills step-by-step. This nationally and internationally recognised degree is part of an articulated postgraduate program of study that begins with a graduate certificate and ends with a master’s degree.
Study the Master of TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching at UC and you will:
- master the skills required for the effective teaching and learning of English and other languages
- build specialised knowledge and skills for professional practice in a range of educational settings
- empower learners with your strong subject and pedagogical knowledge
- strengthen your professional leadership skills
- critically reflect on the ways in which language education theory and research informs teaching practice
- establish and maintain ethical and respectful relationships with students, colleagues and parents
- develop the strengths and linguistic needs of students from diverse cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds.
Work Integrated Learning (WIL)
WIL is an integral part of the UC journey and all students are encouraged to actively attend and participate in relevant placements, workshops, conferences and events where they will have the opportunity to engage with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
This approach gives students an invaluable opportunity to meet and build strong networking relationships with industry professionals and greatly improves their employability at time of graduation.
A UC Master of TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching degree prepares for a career in a wide range of professional contexts and leadership positions in Australia and internationally, including teaching English to speakers of other languages, or a foreign language. Graduates can work in such roles as:
- teacher of English as a second language in Australia
- teacher of a language other than English
- adult educator
- workplace-based TESOL instructor
- director of language education
- community educator
- teaching assistant
- language specialist
- academic director
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) specialist
- community or refugee support officer
- curriculum adviser
- flexible learning developer
- language coach/tutor
- education entrepreneur
- foreign aid worker
- language teaching policy design and implementation
To be advised.
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree or equivalent as approved by the University Admissions Committee. No teaching experience is required.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
Notes for Domestic Applicants
This course is only available for part-time enrolment when commencing in Semester 2. Please contact the Program Director for options.
English Language Requirements
Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
Typical Study Pattern
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
Standard Part Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT) (24 credit points)
Required - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 11381 - Language Teaching Methodology G - 3 cp, Level G
- 11382 - Language Teaching Experience G - 3 cp, Level G
- 11383 - Language in Social Context G - 3 cp, Level G
- 11384 - Study of Language G - 3 cp, Level G
- 11385 - Language Testing and Assessment PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 11386 - Language Teaching Practice PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 11387 - Language Acquisition PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 11388 - English Grammar PG - 3 cp, Level P
In addition to course requirements, in order to successfully complete your course you may need to meet the inherent requirements. Please refer to the inherent requirements statement applicable to your course.
Standard 1 year full-time or equivalent. Maximum 4 years.
Unit Delivery Modes
Each unit within your course may be offered through various delivery modes like on campus, online, flexible and intensive modes. Check how each of your units are delivered in the Course Requirements section.
|2020||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
Additional Placement Requirements
Must have Working With Vulnerable People registration for entry to the compulsory practice unit.
|Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching||GradDip TESOL&FLT|
Alternate Exit Awards
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is subsumable into this course. The Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is subsumable to the Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching.