Advance your education career with a UC graduate certificate
Suitable for a range of education professionals, the Graduate Certificate in Education will teach you how to implement learning and development initiatives within government divisions or in your relevant industry. You will study the theoretical approaches behind good leadership and deepen your knowledge of educational practices at a local, national and global level.
This flexible course can be studied either full-time or part-time, with units presented via a range of different format options, including online and face to face across flexible, intensive and on-campus delivery modes, to help you balance study with your other commitments. You will graduate ready to succeed in your future field, whether that is educational leadership, training and career development, a role in the workplace learning sector, further postgraduate study in education, or beyond.
Study a Graduate Certificate in Education at UC and you will:
- explore major adult learning and general pedagogy
- be able to implement education, learning and development programs to enhance the leadership and program initiatives within government or in your industry
- acquire the skills to appreciate ‘nexus points’ between pedagogical theories and educational practices at local, national and global levels.
Work Integrated Learning
This course has been developed with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at its core. The content has been created by education professionals, and kept relevant and up-to-date through consistent monitoring of, and engagement with, the industry. You will undertake authentic assessment tasks which are highly relevant to the day-to-day practice of education, dealing regularly with real-world problems, and will be encouraged to apply course learnings to your own educational employment context.
- Deputy principal
- Head of department
- Executive teacher
- Curriculum developer
- Year adviser
- Student adviser
- Education adviser
- Schools policy adviser
- Vocational education and training instructor
- Education assessment specialist
- Schools engagement manager
If you are interested in further study, this course is designed as a pathway to the Master of Education. If you are keen to pursue a career in research, we provide a clear path to the Master of Education (Research) degree.
This course is not externally accredited and, therefore, it is not recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia. If you are looking to transition into a teaching career, UC offers postgraduate courses in Education.
No professional accreditation. NOTE: This course is not recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia.
Applicants must have a four-year undergraduate degree in education or a three-year undergraduate degree plus a one-year graduate diploma in education, and in either case a minimum of three years professional experience in an educational context or equivalent as approved by the University.
Additional Admission Requirements
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
English Language Requirements
Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. Graduate Certificate courses are typically 0.5 years in duration, so the total course fee will be half the above for such courses.The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
Typical Study Pattern
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Standard Full Time, Semester 2 Commencing
- Standard Part Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Standard Part Time, Semester 2 Commencing
- Graduate Certificate in Education (12 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 3 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - Must pass 9 credit points from the following
- 7697 - Reflection on Educational Practice PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 8733 - Academic Writing and Research Skills G (UCC) - 3 cp, Level G
- 8734 - Intercultural Academic Communication G (UCC) - 3 cp, Level G
- 9086 - Educational Leadership and Change PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9087 - Education Research Perspectives PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9088 - Educating for Sustainable Worlds PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9089 - Engaging Communities in Change PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9092 - Critical Policy Analysis in Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9093 - Design Thinking for Learning Environments PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9094 - Educating for Inclusion PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9095 - Educating Young People in the Era of Global Media PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9096 - Leading and Sustaining Professional Learning Communities PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9097 - Situated Teaching PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9102 - Investigating Curriculum and its Context PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9462 - Applications of Education Research PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9463 - Evaluating Learning & Teaching PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9466 - Comparative Education G - 3 cp, Level G
- 10332 - Leadership in Indigenous Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10353 - Issues and Challenges in School Improvement: International Perspectives PG - 3 cp, Level P
In addition to course requirements, in order to successfully complete your course you may need to meet the inherent requirements. Please refer to the inherent requirements statement applicable to your course.
Standard one semester full-time or part-time equivalent. Maximum four semesters.
Unit Delivery Modes
Each unit within your course may be offered through various delivery modes like on campus, online, flexible and intensive modes. Check how each of your units are delivered in the Course Requirements section.
|2020||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|Graduate Certificate in Education||GradCertEd|
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate of Education is subsumable into 924AA Master of Education and 245JA Master of Education Studies.