Be at the forefront of educational change
If you are keen to address some of the key challenges facing education, and help develop professional learning communities across Australia and around the world, then this course is an outstanding springboard for an impressive leadership career within the education sector.
During this two-year course, you will examine international policy trends and learn to develop evidence-based curriculums to improve education practices. Combining your professional knowledge and capabilities, you will develop a substantial research paper, which you will then present as part of a group-based capstone unit. At the completion of your course, you will have a solid understanding of the issues facing education, both locally and globally, and will be ready to enhance your career as a senior professional in education.
Study a Master of Education Studies at UC and you will:
- develop the critical knowledge, skills and capabilities required by modern education professionals
- address the key challenges facing education globally
- develop evidence-based programs and curriculum to improve education practices and student learning outcomes
- examine international policy trends in education and understand the impacts of globalisation on learning and development
- apply research principles and methods in the workplace across sectors.
Work Integrated Learning
This course has been developed with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at its core. The content has been created by education professionals, and kept relevant and up-to-date through consistent monitoring of, and engagement with, the industry. You will undertake authentic assessment tasks which are highly relevant to the day-to-day practice of education, dealing regularly with real-world problems and case studies, and will be encouraged to apply course learnings to your own educational employment context.
- Deputy principal
- Head of department
- Executive teacher
- Year adviser
- Schools policy adviser
- Educational policy developer
- Curriculum developer
- Corporate trainer
- Higher education researcher
- Vocational education and training instructor
- Education assessment specialist
Applicants must have a three-year degree in education or a relevant field, as approved by the University.
This course is not externally accredited and, therefore, it is not recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia. If you are looking to transition into a teaching career, UC offers a selection of suitable postgraduate courses.
A clear pathway of study exists between the Graduate Certificate in Education and this degree. Students who have completed the Graduate Certificate in Education may apply and receive credit for units within the Master of Education Studies.
Applicants must have a three-year degree in education or relevant field as approved by the University.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
English Language Requirements
Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
Typical Study Pattern
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Year 1
- Year 2
Standard Full Time, Semester 2 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Education Inquiry Capstone PG (11495) OR Educational Research Capstone Project PG (10443)
- Two Restricted Choice Units
- Semester 1
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Master of Education Studies (48 credit points)
Required - Must pass 18 credit points as follows
- 9085 - Educating Globally PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9086 - Educational Leadership and Change PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9087 - Education Research Perspectives PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9092 - Critical Policy Analysis in Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9102 - Investigating Curriculum and its Context PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10436 - Critical Reasoning and Academic Literacy PG - 3 cp, Level P
Restricted Choice - 30 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must pass 6 credit points from the following
Part B - Must pass 24 credit points from the following
- 9088 - Educating for Sustainable Worlds PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9089 - Engaging Communities in Change PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9094 - Educating for Inclusion PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9096 - Leading and Sustaining Professional Learning Communities PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10321 - Curriculum Development and Design PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10324 - Leading Coaching and Mentoring in Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10325 - Positive Psychology and Wellbeing Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10327 - Understanding the Rural Professional Context PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10332 - Leadership in Indigenous Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10353 - Issues and Challenges in School Improvement: International Perspectives PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10435 - Indigenous Ways of Knowing, Being and Doing PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10437 - Contemporary Uses of Digital Technologies in Education PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10438 - Applications of Learning and Memory PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10439 - Evaluating Education Systems and Programs PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10440 - Qualitative Research PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 10441 - Quantitative Research PG - 3 cp, Level P
In addition to course requirements, in order to successfully complete your course you may need to meet the inherent requirements. Please refer to the inherent requirements statement applicable to your course.
Standard four semesters full-time or equivalent. Maximum twelve semesters.
Unit Delivery Modes
Each unit within your course may be offered through various delivery modes like on campus, online, flexible and intensive modes. Check how each of your units are delivered in the Course Requirements section.
|2020||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|Master of Education Studies||M EdSt|
Alternate Exit Awards
- Graduate Certificate in Education
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in Education is subsumable into the course.