Explore the Science Behind Health Research
The University of Canberra Graduate Certificate in Health Research is for health care and health policy professionals looking to advance their understanding of research methodologies, analysis and outcomes.
This course offers the freedom and flexibility to explore a variety of areas in Health Research on a full time (one semester) or part-time (two-semesters) basis.
Explore topics such as epidemiology, planning research, how to perform statistical analyses and to understand the qualitative and quantitative aspects of the research. Examine the ways that research contributes to advancements in the healthcare field.
As part of this course, you’ll learn industry methodologies as well as using ethical and economic considerations for research and advanced writing skills to apply with confidence to your existing role in health.
Study a Graduate Certificate in Health Research at UC and you will:
- build on your relevant undergraduate degree with enhanced research skills
- learn to progress an idea through stages of development to create a research project
- be competent in developing an answerable research question, planning and developing a research proposal and performing appropriate statistical analyses
- have the necessary skills and qualifications to participate in clinical research.
Work Integrated Learning
Explore issues from your current work environment as topics in your research and learning. Engage with industry experts and peers throughout your coursework for strong professional networking opportunities.
- research Assistant
- research Associate
- clinical Researcher
- health Policy
Completion of this course also offers a pathway into a Ph.D. in Health, through further study.
A completed bachelor degree in a health discipline* or a minimum of five years work experience in the health sector
* Health disciplines include public health, health studies, exercise physiology, exercise science, exercise and sports science, medical science, biomedical science, health science, human movement, physiotherapy, physical therapy, applied science, human biology, medicine, rehabilitation science, human nutrition, occupational therapy, speech pathology, optometry, nursing, midwifery.
Admission to this course is competitive. Applications will be assessed on the basis of academic merit and the number of available places.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
English Language Requirements
Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0
Information for Fee Paying Students
|2021||CSP/Domestic Tuition Fee (see below)||$27,000|
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. Graduate Certificate courses are typically 0.5 years in duration, so the total course fee will be half the above for such courses.The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
Typical Study Pattern
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Standard Full Time, Commencing Semester 1
- Standard Part Time, Commencing Semester 1
- Standard Extreme Part Time, Commencing Semester 1
UC - Canberra, Online
- Standard Full Time, Commencing Winter Term
- Standard Full Time, Commencing Semester 2
- Graduate Certificate in Health Research (12 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 12 credit points as follows
In addition to course requirements, in order to successfully complete your course you may need to meet the inherent requirements. Please refer to the inherent requirements statement applicable to your course.
Standard duration one semester full-time or equivalent. Maximum four semesters.
Unit Delivery Modes
Each unit within your course may be offered through the following delivery modes:
UC - Canberra, Bruce
|Flexible:||The unit combines online study with optional on-campus, face to face activities.|
|Intensive:||The unit is delivered on-campus and face to face in concentrated time blocks.|
|Online:||The unit is studied completely online. On-campus, face to face interaction is not required.|
Check how each of your units are delivered in the Course Requirements section.
|Graduate Certificate in Health Research||GradCert HealthRsch|
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in Health Research is subsumable into the Graduate Diploma in Health Research.