Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching - 979AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline(s):||Academic Program Area - Education|
|English Language Requirements:||
There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible you must have an Overall Academic IELTS score of 6.5 with no band score less than 6.0. For alternate/equivalent ways of meeting the English requirements for this course please view the English Proficiency Requirements document on the university website.
Introduce your future students to the wonderful world of language
Have a love for languages and a yearning to teach them? The University of Canberra’s TESOL and FLT programs are highly regarded internationally and have placed graduates in senior positions throughout Australia and across the world. This course will broaden your understanding of language teaching in a variety of educational, social and cultural contexts, enhance your knowledge in areas such as curriculum design, assessment, discourse analysis and language acquisition and prepare you for a role as a teacher-researcher, foreign language teacher or TESOL instructor or director.
Study a Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching at UC and you will:
- broaden and deepen your understanding of language teaching in a variety of educational, social and cultural contexts
- enhance your knowledge in areas such as curriculum design and evaluation, testing and assessment, discourse analysis, language acquisition, research methods and approaches to teaching grammar
- gain practical knowledge and skills whilst reviewing the way that beliefs, principles and theories affect teaching
- be able to make informed pedagogical decisions
- understand the relationship between language teaching and learning.
A range of career opportunities exist for Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching graduates, including as a:
- Foreign language teacher
- Academic adviser
- TESOL language instructor
- TESOL program director
- TESOL textbook writer or editor
Course specific information
Students must have a Bachelor's degree in any discipline, plus three years formal work experience in a relevant field, such as in language teaching, language-related education, research or linguistics.
- Prospective International Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Current and Commencing Students
- Please contact the University Student Centre by Email email@example.com or Phone 1300 301 727
Applicants must hold bachelor's degree in any discipline plus three years formal work experience in a relevant field or a bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Relevant fields are language teaching, language-related education, administration and research, and linguistics.
Competence in spoken and written English.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (36 credit points)
Required Units - Must pass 24 credit points as follows
- 7649 - Study of Language G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7652 - English Grammar G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7656 - Language Acquisition G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7659 - Language Testing and Assessment PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 7663 - Language and Social Context PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 8094 - Language Teaching Experience G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8095 - Language Teaching Methodology G - 3 cp, Level G
- 9630 - Research Methods in Language Teaching and Learning PG - 3 cp, Level P
Restricted Choice - 12 credit points from the following
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- Part B - Must pass 9 credit points from the following
There are previous versions of this course. As a current student you will complete the requirements for the course that were in place when you commenced. Click on the relevant link below to view the requirements of your version of the course.
- Version2 - Start Date: 01/01/2015 End Date: 31/12/2018
- Version1 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2014
|Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages||MA TESOL|
|Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching||Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Semester 1
- Semester 2
- Four Restricted Choice Units- 12 cp
- Semester 1
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Course Objectives||Graduate Qualities|
|On completion of the Master of Arts in TESOL and FLT, students should be able to:
- teach confidently and competently;
Professionalism and Social Responsibility
|- make informed pedagogical decisions;||Problem Solving|
|- understand the relationship between language teaching and learning;||Analysis and Inquiry
|- demonstrate cross-cultural awareness;||Communication|
|- conduct research to investigate practical problems;||Analysis and Inquiry
Professionalism and Social Responsibility
|- synthesize, present and defend ideas and arguments intelligently.||Analysis and Inquiry
|-communicate within and across professional and cultural boundaries;||Communication|
|-use interpersonal skills and attitudes to work collaboratively||Communication
Working Independently and with others
Standard three semesters full-time or equivalent. Maximum twelve semesters.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Diploma in TESOL (from the course Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching) is subsumable to this course if the student has a bachelor's degree and three years relevant work experience, or a bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
This qualification may be used Overseas
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2020->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.