Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching - 916AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline(s):||Academic Program Area - Education|
|English Language Requirements:||
For applicants whose mother tongue is not English, the English language requirement is a minimum average score of 6.5 on IELTS or equivalent on TOEFL.
Open up a world of possibilities teaching English
The Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching takes a holistic and practical approach to learning the art of Teaching English as a Second Language, or another language, professionally. You don’t need prior teaching experience to apply, as you will learn all you need to know first-hand via practical student workshops and through the observation of real-life classroom settings. During the course, you will discover how to plan lessons, and will study language teaching in its various social and cultural contexts. You will also learn to understand different teaching methodologies, cover the essentials of language, English grammar and phonetics, and expand your knowledge of linguistics.
Upon graduation, you will be ready to embark on a professional English or foreign language teaching career across a range of varied scenarios, including tutoring in an overseas language school, training adult migrants closer to home, or teaching children in a classroom environment. Progression from the Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching to this course, and from this course to the Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is available by enrolling in additional units.
Study a Graduate Diploma in TESOL and foreign language teaching at UC and you will:
- understand teaching methodology with a cross-cultural awareness
- gain hands-on teaching experience
- learn to make informed teaching decisions and reflect on them critically
- be introduced to a range of linguistic topics, including the social and cultural contexts of language teaching, how people learn languages, and how these areas affect teaching.
Work Integrated Learning
This course has been developed with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at its core. The content has been created by TESOL and foreign language professionals, and kept relevant and up-to-date through consistent monitoring of, and engagement with, the industry. You’ll undertake authentic assessment tasks which are highly relevant to the day-to-day practice of education, dealing regularly with real-world problems, and will be encouraged to apply course learnings to your own educational employment context.
- English teacher
- Foreign language teacher
- Private English tutor
- Private foreign language tutor
- Adult and community education (ACE) teacher
- Primary or secondary EALD classroom teacher (English as an Additional Language or Dialect)
- ESL language school teacher (English as a Second Language)
- ELICOS teacher (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
- AMEP teacher (Adult Migrant Education Program)
- SEE trainer/assessor (Skills for Education and Employment)
- WELL practitioner (Workplace English Language and Literacy)
Course specific information
Students who have completed the Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching may apply and receive credit for units within this course.
Progression from this course to the Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is available by enrolling in additional units if the applicant has a three-year bachelor’s degree and two years of formal work experience in a related area, or a four-year bachelor’s degree.
- Current and Commencing Students
- Please contact the University Student Centre by Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 1300 301 727
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Prospective International Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
Applicants must hold a three year bachelor's degree in any discipline. No teaching experience is required.
Competence in spoken and written English
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (24 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 15 credit points as follows
- Restricted Choice - Must pass 9 credit points from the following
|Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages||GradDip TESOL|
|Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Semester 1
- Semester 2
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
Standard two semesters full-time or equivalent. Maximum eight semesters.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in TESOL (from the course Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching) is subsumable into this course. Graduate Diploma in TESOL is subsumable to the Master of Arts in TESOL if the student has a three year undergraduate degree and two years formal work experience in a related area or a four year undergraduate degree.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.