Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching - 915AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline(s):||Academic Program Area - Education|
|English Language Requirements:||
For applicants whose mother tongue is not English, the English language requirement is a minimum average score of 6.5 on IELTS or equivalent on TOEFL.
Unlock exciting global opportunities teaching English
If your future career ambition involves Teaching English as a Second Language, or another language, either at home or overseas, then the Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching will open up a whole new world of opportunities to you. Previous teaching experience is not necessary, and you will be introduced to the fundamentals of language, developing your linguistic knowledge, and observing real-life classroom scenarios. Thanks to hands-on teaching experience at student workshops, you will explore the social and cultural contexts of language teaching, and will learn how to plan lessons, before putting your teaching methods into practice in a classroom setting.
Upon completion of this course, you will be well-prepared for a professional career teaching English or another language, with the option of earning while travelling the globe and experiencing vibrant new cultures, or using your newly acquired skills locally. Progression from this course to the Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching and the Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is available by enrolling in additional units.
Study a Graduate Certificate in TESOL and foreign language teaching at UC and you will:
- understand teaching methodology with a cross-cultural awareness
- develop your linguistic knowledge, including in areas such as English grammar and phonetics
- learn to make informed teaching decisions and reflect on them critically
- be introduced to a range of topics, including how people learn languages and how this affects teaching
- observe classrooms in action and gain hands-on teaching experience.
Work Integrated Learning
This practical course has been developed with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at its core. The content has been created by TESOL and foreign language professionals, and kept relevant and up-to-date through consistent monitoring of, and engagement with, the industry. You’ll undertake authentic assessment tasks which are highly relevant to the day-to-day practice of education, dealing regularly with real-world problems, and will be encouraged to apply course learnings to your own educational employment context.
- English teacher
- Foreign language teacher
- Private English tutor
- Private foreign language tutor
- Adult and community education (ACE) teacher
- Primary or secondary EALD classroom teacher (English as an Additional Language or Dialect)
- ESL language school teacher (English as a Second Language)
- ELICOS teacher (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
- AMEP teacher (Adult Migrant Education Program)
- SEE trainer/assessor (Skills for Education and Employment)
- WELL practitioner (Workplace English Language and Literacy)
Course specific information
Students who have completed this course may apply and receive credit for units within the Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching.
Progression from the Graduate Diploma to the Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching is available by enrolling in additional units.
- Current and Commencing Students
- Please contact the University Student Centre by Email email@example.com or Phone 1300 301 727
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Prospective International Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
Applicants must hold a three year bachelor's degree in any discipline. No teaching experience is required.
Competence in spoken and written English
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (12 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 6 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - 6 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- Part B - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
|Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages||GradCert TESOL|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Language Teaching Experience G (8094) - 3 cp, Level G
- Language Teaching Methodology G (8095) - 3 cp, Level G
- Restricted Choice Part A Unit- 3 cp
- Restricted Choice Part B Unit- 3 cp
- Semester 1
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. Graduate Certificate courses are typically 0.5 years in duration, so the total course fee will be half the above for such courses.The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Course Objectives||Graduate Qualities|
|On completion of the Graduate Certificate students should have gained technical linguistic knowledge on the structure of language.||Communication;
Analysis and Inquiry;
|They should have developed specialist creative skills in language teaching and reflected critically on their teaching.||Working Independently and with others;
Professionalism and Social Responsibility
|Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness||Communication|
|Displayed problem solving skills||Problem Solving|
|Communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge||Communication;
Professionalism and Social Responsibility.
|Demonstrated critical judgment and responsibility as practitioner.||Professionalism and Social Responsibility.|
Standard one semester full-time or equivalent. Maximum four semesters. Full-time students may enrol in Semester 1 only.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in TESOL is subsumable into the Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.