Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science - 868AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline(s):||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
|English Language Requirements:||Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0|
Start your sport science career in the right condition
If you’re interested in the science of human movement, but not sure what specialty to focus on, then the 6-month, full time Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science course is the perfect way to start your career path on the right foot.
This course will boost your knowledge of functional anatomy, biomechanics and exercise physiology while setting the groundwork to allow your study to articulate into a variety of other sports related pathways.
This course also offers fantastic networking opportunities and satisfies the Australian Physiotherapy Association and Australian Association for Exercise and Sports Sciences’ requirements for entry into the Master of Physiotherapy and Master of Exercise Science programs.
Study a Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science at UC and you will:
- broaden the skills and knowledge you developed during an undergraduate science degree
- learn functional anatomy, biomechanics and exercise physiology
- conduct research with leaders in applied sport research
- collaborate with major sporting organisations
- bridge the gap between a biological or medical science bachelor’s degree and our Master of Physiotherapy, Master of Exercise Science and Master of Occupational Therapy program.
Opportunities exist for Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science graduates in the sporting organisation sector, including:
- conducting sports science research
- developing equipment and investigating its effectiveness
- preparing marketing or development plans
- conducting sports events for organisations
- preparing media releases and information kits
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Prospective International Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
- Current and Commencing Students
- Please contact the Faculty of Health faculty office, email firstname.lastname@example.org
A completed bachelor degree in a science discipline*.
* Science disciplines include biology, chemistry, medical science or biomedical science.
Admission to this course is competitive. Applications will be assessed on the basis of academic merit and the number of available places.
In addition to the normal University's requirements for admission to a graduate certificate course, it would be advantageous for applicants to have completed some tertiary studies in systemic anatomy and physiology.
Periods Course is Open to New Admissions
|2020||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science (12 credit points)
Restricted Choice - Must pass 12 credit points from the following
- Or other Graduate or Postgraduate Level units with permission of the Course Convener.
- Masters course entry: Students should seek advice from the Course Convener to choose units that will meet pre-requisites for entry to the relevant masters course.
|Graduate Certificate in Human Movement Science||GradCert HumanMovementSc|
Unit Delivery Modes
The University offers a wide range of delivery options to help you balance study with other commitments. Units within this degree may be available to be studied in the following delivery modes:
|Flexible:||The unit combines online study with optional on-campus, face to face activities.|
|On Campus:||The unit is delivered on-campus and face to face, supplemented with online content. Most classes are run on weekdays and during business hours.|
|Online:||The unit is studied completely online. On-campus, face to face interaction is not required.|
To find out more about delivery modes that are available for units in this course please visit
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. Graduate Certificate courses are typically 0.5 years in duration, so the total course fee will be half the above for such courses.The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
Special Class Delivery Details
Students have the opportunity to accelerate or spread their study through enrolment in units offered in the University's Winter Term.
|Course Objectives||Graduate Qualities|
|1. To provide the necessary knowledge and understanding required by the Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA) and AAESS (Australian Association for Exercise and Sports Sciences) for entry into Master of Physiotherapy and Master of Exercise Science programmes.||Effective Workplace skills Social Responsibilities Life Long Skills Personable Attributes|
|2. To provide the underpinning intellectual and practical transferable skills to allow students to further their education or pursue a career in the health, exercise and sport environment.||Communication Information, Literacy and Numeracy Information Communication and Technology Working with others Ethics Problem Solving|
Standard one semester full-time or equivalent. Maximum four semesters.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.