Bachelor of Biomedical Science - 264JA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline(s):||Academic Program Area - Science|
|English Language Requirements:||Academic IELTS of 6.0 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0|
Your pathway to a productive career in health sciences
Our Bachelor of Biomedical Science gives you a solid understanding of the structure and function of the human body and the interrelationships between health and disease. This is the perfect grounding for a career where broad scientific knowledge of the human body is needed.
Study a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at UC and you will:
- learn how the human body functions at all levels
- apply your knowledge of health and disease to real life situations
- discover how humans interact with and respond to their environment
- span a wide range of scientific disciplines including biology, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, pathobiology, data analysis and genetics
- enjoy the flexibility of choosing from other electives including psychology, ecology, sports science, sociology, management, computer programming, law and foreign languages.
- Hospitals and health clinics
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Government science policy and management
- Therapeutics Goods Administration
- Community-led biomedical and health initiatives
Work Integrated Learning
Students have the opportunity to take part in collaborative work programs at the Centre for Research in Therapeutic Solutions. These exciting programs aim to develop new drugs by studying the molecular mechanisms of specific diseases in the area of immune-therapeutics.
Course specific information
High performing students may be eligible to enrol in the Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours) course. Students interested in pursuing careers in medicine, physiotherapy, pharmacy or science education will need to complete further study for accreditation in these fields.
Normal UC requirements for admission to an undergraduate course.
Additional Admission Requirements
ACT: Biology and/or Chemistry major(s) plus Mathematical Methods major. NSW: Biology and/or Chemistry and Mathematics.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (72 credit points)
Required - 39 credit points as follows
MJ0050 Major in Human Biology: From Cells to Organism (18 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 15 credit points as follows
- Restricted Choice - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
- The unit code for Regional Anatomy and Physiology changed in 2015 and only the newer code is available for enrolment.
MJ0053 Major in Human Biology: Chemical & Molecular Principles (18 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 12 credit points as follows
- Restricted Choice - 6 credit points as follows
- Required Units - Must pass 3 credit points as follows
- MJ0050 Major in Human Biology: From Cells to Organism (18 credit points)
Restricted Choice - 12 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
Part B - Must pass 6 credit points from the following
- 6512 - Immunology - 3 cp, Level 3
- 6834 - Biomechanics 1 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 8027 - Clinical Microbiology - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8253 - Nutrition Across the Lifecycle - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8279 - Advanced Functional Anatomy - 3 cp, Level 3
- 8391 - Physiology of Exercise 1 - 3 cp, Level 2
- 8913 - Motor Control and Skill Acquisition - 3 cp, Level 2
- Part C - Must pass 3 credit points from the following
Open Electives - 21 credit points as follows
- Must pass 21 credit points from anywhere in the University, as a major, a minor and/or individual units.
- Unit Levels: In selecting electives students should note that no more than 30 credit points at Level 1 is permitted for the entire course.
|Bachelor of Biomedical Science||B BiomedicalSc|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full time, Semester 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
- Semester 1
- Semester 2
- Semester 1
- Advanced Physiology (8373) - 3 cp, Level 3
- Introduction to Microbiology (6510) - 3 cp, Level 2
- Open Elective unit- 3 cp
- Restricted Choice Part A unit- 3 cp
- Pathobiology (8797) - 3 cp, Level 3
- Open Elective unit- 3 cp
- Two Restricted Choice Part B units- 6 cp
- Integrated Studies of Disease (6517) - 3 cp, Level 3
- Restricted Choice Part C unit- 3 cp
- Two Open Elective units- 6 cp
- Semester 1
- Standard Full time, Semester 1 Commencing
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
This course commences semester 1, 2014.
Standard six semesters full-time or equivalent. Maximum twenty semesters.
High performing students may be eligible to enrol in the Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours) course.
Diploma of Science
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.