Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research - 134JA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline(s):||Faculty of Health|
|English Language Requirements:||Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0|
It’s time to step up and be listened to
If you’re an experienced, qualified nurse or health professional looking for career advancement and/or the opportunity to gain additional knowledge, experience and qualifications in health - then the Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research will give you the skills and qualifications to work at a higher, more strategic level.
This 12 months (full time), or 48 month (part-time), course takes a deeper and more advanced look at health-related topics like epidemiology, planning, how to perform statistical analyses and understanding the qualitative and quantitative practices of the research process.
This course will also prepare you with the necessary skills to be able to design and lead your own clinical research projects which could go on to help influence health related policies in Government Health, Private Health and Heath Insurance industries.
As part of this course you’ll also learn methodology, ethical and economic considerations and acquire crucial new technical writing skills. In addition, with strong industry contacts with local and national hospitals, communities and professional bodies, you will also gain an extensive range of industry and professional contacts.
Study a Graduate Certificate in Health Research at UC and you will:
- build on your relevant undergraduate degree with enhanced research skills
- develop knowledge of how to progress an idea to the stage of a research project
- be competent in developing an answerable research question, planning and developing a research proposal and performing appropriate statistical analyses
- have the necessary skills and qualifications to participate in, and eventually lead clinical research
- be recognised as a top level strategic thinker
Work Integrated Learning
WIL is a major component of the UC experience and students are given the unique opportunity to take their experience and use health related issues, from their current work environment, as potential study and research subjects from which to gain valuable knowledge and insights.
A Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research opens many doors and can lead into a career as professional advisor and/or consultant in health or health related fields for both government and private health sectors.
This is an approve and accredited course and as such students must have a degree in a health related field, or the equivalent as approved by the University.
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Prospective International Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
- Current and Commencing Students
- Please contact the Faculty of Health faculty office, email email@example.com
A completed bachelor degree in a health-related discipline*.
* A health-related discipline includes medicine, nursing, dentistry, psychology, counselling, pharmacy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nutrition and dietetics, optometry, speech pathology, sports and exercise science, speech pathology
Periods Course is Open to New Admissions
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research (24 credit points)
Required - Must pass 18 credit points as follows
- 6486 - Research Planning PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9583 - Qualitative Research Practice in Health PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9585 - Quantitative Research Practice in Health PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 9593 - Research Project in Health PG (6cp) - 6 cp, Level P
- 9594 - Epidemiology and Principles of Research PG - 3 cp, Level P
Open Electives - 6 credit points as follows
- Must pass 6 credit points at Postgraduate Level from anywhere in the University.
|Graduate Diploma in Health Research||GradDip HealthRsch|
|Graduate Certificate in Health Research|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing-Qualitative Research Project
- Print this Study Pattern
- Semester 1
- Semester 2
Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing- Quantitative Research Project
- Print this Study Pattern
- Semester 1
- Semester 2
- Standard Full Time, Semester 1 Commencing-Qualitative Research Project
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery Modes
The University offers a wide range of delivery options to help you balance study with other commitments. Units within this degree may be available to be studied in the following delivery modes:
|Online:||The unit is studied completely online. On-campus, face to face interaction is not required.|
To find out more about delivery modes that are available for units in this course please visit
Information for Fee Paying Students
The fees detailed above are the annual fee rates for the course. The annual rate is the fee that applies to standard full-time enrolment, which is 24 credit points. The final fee charged is based on the proportion of 24 credit points in which a student enrols. Students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their education, which is set by the Commonwealth Government. Information on Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP and how fees are calculated can be found here.
|Course Objectives||Graduate Qualities|
|On completion of the Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research students will be competent in developing an answerable research question, planning and developing a research proposal and, conducting and reporting on a research project.||1 - Communication
2 - Analysis and Inquiry
3 - Problem Solving
4 - Working independently and with others
5 - Professionalism and Social Responsibility.
Standard: two semesters full-time or equivalent. Maximum: eight semesters.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in Health Research is subsumable into this course.
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2020->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.