Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies - 018AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline(s):||Canberra Law School|
|English Language Requirements:||
There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible you must have an academic IELTS or equivalent of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0. Students who have undertaken all of their education in an English speaking country (as defined on UC website) are deemed to have met our English language proficiency requirements.
The Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies provides a qualification for professionals who do not practise law but require legal knowledge and skills. On this basis, it is designed to provide a thorough grounding in law to students who already hold a degree or equivalent qualification in a discipline other than law. The course aims to develop in graduate students an awareness of the nature and operation of the law and the legal system, and to provide those employed in those sectors with a working understanding of areas of law of particular vocational relevance and interest. The course also articulates with the Masters Degree in Juris Doctor (852AA), provided that appropriate units are chosen and the admission requirements for that course are met.
- Prospective Domestic Students
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 1800 UNI CAN (1800 864 226)
- Prospective International Students
- Email email@example.com or Phone +61 2 6201 5342
- Current and Commencing Students
- In person Faculty of Business, Government and Law student support area (Building 11, Level B, Room 27 - Reception counter) or Email BGLCourseConveners@canberra.edu.au
Bachelor degree or equivalent from a recognised Australian tertiary institution. Students who hold a degree from a foreign tertiary institution may also be permitted to undertake this course.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies (24 credit points)
Restricted Choice - 24 credit points as follows
- Part A - Must select 1 of the following
Part B - Must pass 18 credit points from the following
- Or other Graduate or Postgraduate level units as approved by the Course Convener
- 6225 - Business Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6233 - E-Law for Government & Business G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6245 - International Trade Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6255 - Management Ethics PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6259 - Managers & the Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6333 - Intellectual Property Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6339 - Competition Policy & Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6619 - Administrative Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6620 - Advanced Corporation Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6622 - Advanced Taxation Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6625 - Comparative Company Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6626 - Comparative Constitutional Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6627 - Corporate Crime PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6628 - Corporate Finance Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6629 - Corporate Governance PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6630 - E-Law for Government and Business PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6631 - Government and Corporate Contracting PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6632 - Human Rights Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6633 - Information Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6634 - International Banking, Finance and Securities PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6635 - International Dispute Resolution PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6636 - International Organisations (WTO) PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6637 - Law and Society G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6638 - Law of Communications G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6639 - Law of Business Transactions G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6640 - Legal Research Reading PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6644 - Principles of Common Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6645 - Securities Regulation PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6646 - Technology Contracting PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 6777 - Legal Systems G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6778 - Legal Methods and Skills G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6779 - Contract Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6780 - Corporations Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 6781 - Law of Obligations G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7226 - Constitutional Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7227 - Equity G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7229 - Introduction to Taxation Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7232 - Legal Theory G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7234 - Property Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7564 - Criminology G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7566 - Employment Discrimination and the Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7567 - Family Law G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7773 - Legal Theory PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 7774 - Administrative Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
- 8063 - International Law PG - 3 cp, Level P
|Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies||GradDip LegSt|
|Graduate Certificate in Legal Studies|
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
This course is closed to new admissions from Semester 2, 2014. Please contact the Faculty via the enquiry details below for further information.
2 semesters full-time: 4 semesters part-time; maximum: 8 semesters.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate in Legal Studies course is subsumable within the Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies and the Master of Legal Studies. Depending on the units taken, it may also be subsumable within the Juris Doctor.
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2020->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.