Where can I get documents certified?

There are two ways you can get a document certified, depending on what you need the document for, and who requested it.


If the University has requested a certified copy of a document:


The Student Centre staff will be able to sight an original document and send a certified copy to the area of the University that requested it. If you do not have access to an original document that the University has requested, you should contact the area that has requested the document and confirm what other options are available.


The University will usually request certified copies of documents and these cannot be returned.


Non-university purposes:


You should enquire directly with the person or party that has requested your documents be certified; only they can advise what is required for their specific purposes.


The University of Canberra does not provide notary services or certify documents for non-university purposes. People authorised to certify documents include:

  • a Justice of the Peace 
  • a police officer
  • a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • a registered medical practitioner 
  • a pharmacist
  • a bank manager. 

Please note: the above listed professions will not be suitable for every occasion. You should always check what level certification is required to ensure you obtain the correct certification.

Was this answer helpful?

Answers others found helpful