How do I apply for SA-HELP?

SA-HELP is available for eligible students to defer their SSAF through a HELP loan scheme similar to FEE-HELP and HECS-HELP. To be eligible for SA-HELP you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder resident in Australia;
  • be enrolled in a course that leads to a higher education award, enabling course or bridging course for overseas-trained professionals; and
  • meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements.

In order to apply for SA-HELP you need to complete the SA‑HELP form, located within the Self-Enrolment page of the MyUC student portal.

You must complete all of the steps in the order they are set out in the Self-Enrolment page in order to access the SA-HELP form. The SA-HELP form is one of the last steps in the self-enrolment process and will only be available for eligible students. If you believe you should be eligible for SA-HELP and the form is not available in self-enrolment, please contact the Student Centre.

Before submitting your application you will need to ensure you have read and fully understand your obligations in the information booklet Students applying for SA-HELP. You will need to ensure that this form is completed in full by the census date of the relevant teaching period.

Please note: you are required to submit a Request for SA-HELP assistance form at the start of your first teaching period for the year ONLY. Upon submission of your SA-HELP assistance form, your SSAF will automatically be deferred for the remainder of that calendar year and will not appear as an outstanding amount on your Statement of Account. If you change your mind and would like to make an upfront payment, you may do so only before the Census date and you must contact the University so we may remove your application.

If you change your mind after the Census date, you will need to wait until your Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) balance is updated and make a direct payment to the Australian Tax Office.

If you change course, you will be required to complete another SA-HELP assistance form for your new course of study.

For further information about SA-HELP please visit the Study Assist website.


Was this answer helpful?

Answers others found helpful