What is a Commonwealth supported place?

If you are offered a Commonwealth supported place, this means that you have been offered a subsidised enrolment where the Australian Government will pay part of your fees directly to the University, with the remained (known as the student contribution amount) to be paid by you. These places are only available to Australian and New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents and permanent Humanitarian visa holders.

If you haven't been offered a Commonwealth supported place you can enrol in a full fee paying place, where you need to pay the un-subsidised tuition fees for the course.

The majority of undergraduate degrees are offered as a Commonwealth supported place, given you meet the eligibility criteria. CSP's at postgraduate level are generally only offered in courses that are an accepted entry-level qualification for a profession, or where professional entry training is only offered at the postgraduate level.

If you wish to take up a Commonwealth supported place, you must complete your 'Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP' form through your MyUC account (hard copy forms are available from the Student Centre). You must complete and submit this form by the end of week 1 to avoid an encumbrance on your student account. Students who have not submitted this form by Census date will have their enrolment cancelled and be discontinued from their course.

Please be aware that eligibility for a Commonwealth supported place is different to eligibility for the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) (meaning that you may not be eligible to defer your fees through HECS-HELP).

Was this answer helpful?

Answers others found helpful