Teaching Fellow, Sport and Exercise Science
Faculty of Health
Bldg, Floor & Room: 12C2
Telephone: (02) 6202 2263
Joe Northey is a Teaching Fellow in the Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science. He completed his undergraduate degrees in Exercise Science and Nutrition at the University of Canberra. Since completing his Honours degree, he is currently completing a PhD on physical activity and the ageing brain. Joe currently teaches into Physiology of Exercise and Anatomy units.
Areas of Teaching
Physical Activity and the Brain
- 2013, Bachelor of Sports Studies (Hons) – 1st Class, University of Canberra
- 2012, Bachelor of Sports Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition, University of Canberra
- Northey, J.M., Rattray. B., Pumpa, K.L., Smee, D.J., Cherbuin, N., & Anstey, K. (2016) A Comparison Between Estimated Physical Activity from an Open-Ended Self-Report Questionnaire and the SenseWear Armband in Older Australians. JAPA 24 (Supplement 1).
- Northey, J.M., Cherbuin, N., Pumpa, K.L., Smee, D.J., & Rattray, B. (2016) Exercise interventions for executive function and memory in over fifties: a systematic review with meta-analysis. 7th Exercise and Sport Science Australia Conference: Research to Practice. 14-16 April. Melbourne, Australia.
- Smale, B.A., Northey, J.M., Smee, D.J., Versey, N., & Rattray, B. (2016) Compression garments improve cognitive accuracy at high intensity cycling but not cerebral blood flow or time-trial performance. 7th Exercise and Sport Science Australia Conference: Research to Practice. 14-16 April. Melbourne, Australia.
- Northey, J. M., Rattray, B., Argus, C. K., Etxebarria, N., & Driller, M. W. (2016). Vascular Occlusion and Sequential Compression for Recovery After Resistance Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(2):533-539
- Rattray, B., Egle-Marshall, L., Northey, J., Hone, S., Smee, D., & Brassard, P. (2015). Dietary Nitrate improves Cerebral Perfusion, in Young Adults during Exercise: Relationship to Cognitive Performance. The FASEB Journal, 29(1 Supplement), 989.982.
- Rattray, B., Argus, C., Martin, K., Northey, J., & Driller, M. (2015). Is it time to turn our attention towards central mechanisms for post-exertional recovery strategies and performance? Frontiers in Physiology, 6, 79.