Dr Misty Adoniou
Associate Professor in Language, Literacy and TESL
Tel: +61 2 6201 2471
Misty teaches undergraduate and post graduate teacher education courses in Language and Literacy.
She has received numerous teaching awards, including an OLT National Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning and the Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
She was the lead writer for the national English as an Additional Language Teachers Resource which accompanies the Australian Curriculum and has served on several national advisory boards including:
- Equity and Diversity Advisory Group (a federal appointment advising the Australian Curriculum and Reporting Authority ACARA)
- Orientation Consultative Committee (a federal appointment advising on the settlement needs of refugees)
- Register of Experts for the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) in the areas of ESL teaching, Teacher Education, Curriculum and Education Studies, Literacy & Numeracy, Learning & Teaching in Higher Education, Curriculum Development & Design, and ELICOS
She is on the Board of Directors of TESOL International – a teachers association representing over 100 teachers’ associations around the globe.
She has served as the President of two international TESOL Affiliates; TESOL Greece and the Australian Council of TESOL Associations.
Her PhD thesis examined the experience of early career teachers. Her current research projects include
- Investigating repertoire approaches to teaching spelling
- Evaluating and revising off-shore and on-shore orientation programs offered to refugee and humanitarian entrants in Australia
- Investigating the AITSL teacher standards in the first year of teaching
- Early career teachers
- Writing instruction, grammar and spelling
- Refugee education and TESOL