Professor of Informatics
BA (ANU) M Sc.Soc (UNSW) PhD (UNSW)
Craig has been an information systems developer, project manager and consultant, and is now a university lecturer, researcher and academic manager. The focus of his work is the theory and practice of systems for the management of data, information and knowledge with an emphasis on the ontological and ethical aspects of systems. He is a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society, a member of its ethics committee and a university accreditation panel chair. He has served as head of school and associate dean and is the deputy chair of the Human Ethics Committee.
Systems analysis and modelling; Project and quality management; Knowledge management systems; Human-computer interaction; Research methodology; Dimensions of the information sector.
Recent Research Publications:
- Craig McDonald & Sarbazhosseini, Hamed (2013) "A State Transition Approach to Conceptualising Research: the Project Portfolio Management" Australian Conference on Information Systems, Melbourne
- MacKrell, Dale & McDonald, Craig (2013) "The Skills Framework for the Information Age as a Means for Investigating Work-Integrated Learning" Australian Conference on Information Systems, Melbourne
- Adikari, Sisira & McDonald, Craig (2013) "Agile User Experience Design: A Design Science Enquiry" Australian Conference on Information Systems, Melbourne
- McDonald, Craig (2012) "Complexities in the Ethics of Informatics Research and Innovation" Proceedings of 6th Australian Institute of Computer Ethics Conference, Deakin University, February.
- McDonald, Craig (2012) "An Information Systems View of Theory-building" Foundations of Information Systems, ANU e-press
- McDonald, Craig (2012) "A Design Pattern for Responsible Information Systems Education" Australian Conference on Information Systems, Melbourne
- Rosetta Romano, Craig McDonald (2011) "Assessing the Quality of Ontology" Proceedings of Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems, Crete
- Craig McDonald (2011) "The Useful Relationship between Ethics and Systems Quality" Proceedings of EthiComp, Manchester.
Current Research Activity:
- The theory and methods of concept analysis and the construction of conceptual frameworks.
- e-Research: embedded and consequential ethics in informatics research.
- Indicator Systems: The development of effective performance indicators to better ground the relationship between government and not-for-profit organisations.
- The nature of phenomena in informatics research.
Ontology and ethics in information systems; e-research; Concept Analysis
- Fellow, Australian Computer Society
- Member, Australian Library and Information Association
Australasian Institute for Computer Ethics
Member, Association for Information Systems
- Member, Australian Council of Professors and Heads of Information Systems
- Member, Advisory Board, Framework for Responsible Research and Innovation in ICT