International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The University of Canberra is the official testing centre for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test in Canberra. The tests are conducted two times per month and are held on the University of Canberra campus.
The Speaking component of the test is held on either the Friday afternoon before, or the Saturday afternoon of the test day. Candidates must be available to do their speaking test interview on either day.
- From 1st April 2014 all test bookings are to be made online. Paper application forms will not be accepted.
- The IELTS Office has moved to a new location. You can now find us in Building 5 Level B Room 2.
Please ignore the instructions to 'upload a passport-format photograph' on the online application website.
- Do NOT upload a photo. Even though it says so on the application, please do NOT bring any photos to our test centre.
- As of 1 January 2014, IELTS no longer requires a passport-sized photo.
- If you upload a photo in the online registration, your application will be automatically cancelled and you will have to reapply.
Passport is the ONLY ID document we accept. Please do NOT choose 'National Identity Card' when registering.
Step 1: Complete the IELTS Online Application Form.
- Your names must be the same as the names on your passport and must appear in the same order.
- If there is no family name shown on your passport, please put "--"(two dashes) as your family name.
- Please ensure your mailing address is valid as your Test Report Form will be posted to you.
- You will receive an automated email with instructions on how to finalise your application once submitted.
Step 2: Email a scanned colour copy of your passport (including the photo page with your personal information and the expiry date) in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please name your passport copy as "Family Name_Given Name_ dd_mm_yyyy (Test date)", e.g.: Citizen_John_05_04_2014.
- Your application will be rejected if it is not in PDF format or not named properly.
- Please note we do not need your visa page.
- If you do not have proper scanning facilities, you can go to Officeworks to get a scanned copy of your passport. If you request a scanned copy from our office, a $5 administrative fee applies.
Step 3: Pay online.
- Instructions on online payment will be given after you lodge your application online.
- Please ensure your email address is valid as a receipt for your transaction will be automatically emailed to you.
Please note: You must complete Steps 1, 2 AND 3 within 48 hours. Applications not completed within 48 hours will be rejected and the test place will be made available to other candidates.
Your chosen date may not be available anymore if your application is cancelled.
After you have completed steps 1, 2 and 3, you will receive an email confirming your test place.
*Before sitting the test, you must read the IELTS Information for Candidates (PDF 1.32 MB)
*Candidates who require special arrangements due to ill health/medical conditions must contact us before applying online.
All test dates at this centre offer both Academic and General Training modules, but each module is subject to availability.
To check if a particular test date is available, please go to the IELTS Online Application Form.
2014 IELTS test dates:
- January: 11 and 18
- February: 1 and 15
- March: 8 and 15
- April: 5 and 12
- May: 10 and 17
- June: 7 and 21
- July:12 and 19
- August: 2 and 16
- September: 6 and 20
- October: 11 and 18
- November: 1 and 22
- December: 6 and 13
Fees for IELTS Test:
- test fee: $330 (GST free) or $363 (incl GST)
- cancellation fee: $80 (Cancellation must be made at least 5 weeks before the test date to receive a partial refund)
- test date transfer fee: $80 (A transfer must be made at least 5 weeks before the test date)
- module change: $80 (upon availability)
- additional test reporting form fee: $30 a copy
- Passport scanning fee: $5
- Official IELTS Practice Materials: $35
- IELTS Top Tips book (Academic or General Training): $20
The University of Canberra English Language Institute (UCELI) offers IELTS preparation classes throughout the year. In the preparation classes you can learn more about the test, get practice in both Academic and General IELTS contexts and improve your IELTS results. To find out more please see the flyer below or give us a call on 02 6201 2982.
IELTS Preparation Courses:
Motivated by IELTS
Students tend to be more focused and motivated by IELTS. [They] have clearer goals and IELTS is an internationally recognised result. - David, English language teacher, Perth, Australia
An IELTS score has very wide currency … it can give entry to courses and to immigration opportunities. - English language teacher, Australia
A citizen of the world
IELTS makes the world a bigger, more open place. I am grateful for my parents who encouraged me to learn English as it transformed me into a citizen of the world.” - Pavel Kachailov, analyst at large accounting firm
To see more testimonials from real people please visit the IELTS Testimonials page.