Skip to main content Skip to navigation

MyUC Portal

If you are having problems logging in, please contact the service desk

Terms & Conditions

The use of the MyUC Portal is governed by the policies and rules of the University of Canberra and appropriate legislation of the ACT and Commonwealth.

Student & Staff Login

Student & Staff Login
Forgotten your password?

IS3 - International Student Support

Visa Requirements

As an International student holding a student visa, you have a responsibility to satisfy your student visa conditions. The University is required to report students failing to comply with their visa requirements to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. This may lead into the cancellation of your student visa.

For detailed and up to date information on Student visa requirements, you may check the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Health Cover

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires international students to maintain Overseas Students Health Cover for the duration of the time that they are in Australia as a condition of their visa.

Study Load

All international students holding a student visa are expected to enrol in a study load that will enable them to complete their course by the end date as specified on their Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). This generally means that students need to enrol in a minimum of 24 Credit Points per year, this is also referred to as a ‘Full-time load’. In addition, students must not exceed 25% of enrolment via online or distance learning, and must always be in at least one on-campus unit each semester.

Part time study may be permitted under certain circumstances and dealt with on an individual basis. If you think you may be eligible to study part time, please make an appointment with the International Student Advisor.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

It is a visa condition for all International to maintain satisfactory academic progress in line with the University’s Academic Progress Policy.


All International students must notify the University of their current Australian residential and mailing address within 7 days of arrival in the country. We advise you that you also provide your mobile number and an emergency contact.

If you change your address you need to update your address on MyUC or alternatively you can fill out an address updating form in the Student Centre.

Working in Australia

Permission to work

All international students who hold an international student visa are automatically granted permission to work 40 hours per fortnight during study periods. During study breaks, there are no work limitations.  Therefore you do not need to apply for a work permit, nor do you require documentation from the University or Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to provide to your employer.

Tax File Number

Before you start working in Australia, you must obtain a Tax File Number (TFN).  Information on obtaining the TFN can be found at:

Workplace Rights

All people working in Australia have basic rights and protections in the work place. The workplace ombudsman makes sure that these rights are protected and enforced fairly under Australia’s workplace relations laws. If you would like to learn more about your workplace rights or contact the workplace Ombudsman please visit this website.