Davey, Professor Rachel
Director, UC Health Research Institute
Bldg, Floor & Room: 22 B, 31
Telephone: (02) 6201 5359
Rachel is currently Professor of Health Research with over 20 years of research experience in areas related to physical activity for the prevention of non-communicable diseases. Rachel has extensive experience of conducting large-scale trials in both clinical and community settings in the area of physical activity, health and disease prevention. More recently, Rachel has focused on the use and development of ecological models that emphasize multiple levels of influence on health behaviours. She has designed and led large-scale community interventions that have resulted in sustained behaviour change and improved health. Rachel has also led pioneering research that takes an ecological approach to sustaining and improving health, such as the United Kingdom Medical Research Council funded project "An ecological approach to promoting health-enhancing physical activity in a deprived inner-city population" that involved detailed mapping of the environment and evaluation of the relationship between environment, physical activity and health and health outcomes. Her research takes an integrated urban ecosystem approach to evaluating the influences of the built, natural and social environments on health behaviours, health and health outcomes. Rachel currently collaborates with the international team of researchers in the 12 country IPEN study that aims to pool data from over 14000 participants across the globe to better our understanding of environmental correlates of physical activity and obesity. Empirical findings from this trans-national research on these complex interactions will help inform policy and practice for future urban design http://www.ipenproject.org/IPEN_adult.html
Rachel's research interests focus on policy-relevant research in areas related to physical activity for health and wellbeing and on the design, delivery and evaluation of complex public health interventions. Rachel is currently undertaking research across a number of areas, including:
- Exploring the inter-relationship between individuals and neighbourhoods in social, cultural and physical (built and natural) environments and their impact on health and health outcomes
- Primary and secondary prevention programs for cardiovascular disease
- Population base modeling of changes in risk factors for chronic disease and potential cost savings
- Evaluation of primary healthcare provision in the aged care sector
- Physical activity in school children
- Indigenous tobacco control
- Knowledge translation networks
- BSc (Hons) – Aberystwyth University Colledge of Wales, UK
- MMed Sci – Sheffield University, UK
- PhD – Sheffield University, UK
- Mazumdar, S., Learnihan, V., Cochrane, T., Phung, H., O'Connor, B., Davey, R. Is Walk Score associated with hospital admissions from chronic diseases? Evidence from a cross-sectional study in a high socioeconomic status Australian city-state (2016) BMJ Open, 6 (12), art. no. e012548, DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012548
- Christiansen, L.B., Cerin, E., Badland, H., Kerr, J., Davey, R., Troelsen, J., van Dyck, D., Mitáš, J., Schofield, G., Sugiyama, T., Salvo, D., Sarmiento, O.L., Reis, R., Adams, M., Frank, L., Sallis, J.F. International comparisons of the associations between objective measures of the built environment and transport-related walking and cycling: IPEN adult study (2016) Journal of Transport and Health, 3 (4), pp. 467-478.DOI: 10.1016/j.jth.2016.02.010
- Corder, K., Sharp, S.J., Atkin, A.J., Andersen, L.B., Cardon, G., Page, A., Davey, R., Grøntved, A., Hallal, P.C., Janz, K.F., Kordas, K., Kriemler, S., Puder, J.J., Sardinha, L.B., Ekelund, U., van Sluijs, E.M.F., Cardon, G., Cooper, A., Davey, R., Ekelund, U., Puder, J.J., Sardinha, L.B., Andersen, L.B., Anderssen, S., Esliger, D.W., Grøntved, A., Hallal, P., Janz, K.F., Kordas, K., Kriemler, S., Page, A., Pate, R., Reilly, J., Salmon, J., Sherar, L.B., Timperio, A. Age-related patterns of vigorous-intensity physical activity in youth: The International Children's Accelerometry Database (2016) Preventive Medicine Reports, 4, pp. 17-22. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2016.05.006
- Telford, R.M., Olive, L.S., Cochrane, T., Davey, R., Telford, R.D. Outcomes of a four-year specialist-taught physical education program on physical activity: A cluster randomized controlled trial, the LOOK study (2016) International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 13 (1), art. no. 64, DOI: 10.1186/s12966-016-0388-4
- Sherar, L.B., Griffin, T.P., Ekelund, U., Cooper, A.R., Esliger, D.W., van Sluijs, E.M.F., Andersen, L.B., Cardon, G., Davey, R., Froberg, K., Hallal, P.C., Janz, K.F., Kordas, K., Kriemler, S., Pate, R.R., Puder, J.J., Sardinha, L.B., Timperio, A.F., Page, A.S. Association between maternal education and objectively measured physical activity and sedentary time in adolescents (2016) Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 70 (6), pp. 541-548. DOI: 10.1136/jech-2015-205763
- Sallis, J.F., Cerin, E., Conway, T.L., Adams, M.A., Frank, L.D., Pratt, M., Salvo, D., Schipperijn, J., Smith, G., Cain, K.L., Davey, R., Kerr, J., Lai, P.-C., Mitáš, J., Reis, R., Sarmiento, O.L., Schofield, G., Troelsen, J., Van Dyck, D., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Owen, N. Physical activity in relation to urban environments in 14 cities worldwide: A cross-sectional study (2016) The Lancet, 387 (10034), pp. 2207-2217. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01284-2
- Telford, R.M., Telford, R.D., Cochrane, T., Cunningham, R.B., Olive, L.S., Davey, R. The influence of sport club participation on physical activity, fitness and body fat during childhood and adolescence: The LOOK Longitudinal Study (2016) Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 19 (5), pp. 400-406. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2015.04.008
- Knight-Agarwal, C.R., Williams, L.T., Davis, D., Davey, R., Shepherd, R., Downing, A., Lawson, K. The perspectives of obese women receiving antenatal care: A qualitative study of women's experiences (2016) Women and Birth, 29 (2), pp. 189-195. DOI: 10.1016/j.wombi.2015.10.008
- Telford, R.M., Telford, R.D., Olive, L.S., Cochrane, T., Davey, R. Why are girls less physically active than boys? Findings from the LOOK longitudinal study (2016) PLoS ONE, 11 (3), art. no. e0150041 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150041
- Kerr, J., Emond, J.A., Badland, H., Reis, R., Sarmiento, O., Carlson, J., Sallis, J.F., Cerin, E., Cain, K., Conway, T., Schofield, G., Macfarlane, D.J., Christiansen, L.B., Van Dyck, D., Davey, R., Aguinaga-Ontoso, I., Salvo, D., Sugiyama, T., Mitáš, J., Owen, N., Natarajan, L. Perceived neighborhood environmental attributes associated with walking and cycling for transport among adult residents of 17 cities in 12 countries: The IPEN study (2016) Environmental Health Perspectives, 124 (3), pp. 290-298. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.1409466
- Cochrane, T., Davey, R.C., de Castella, F.R. Anthropometric standards for Australian primary school children: Towards a system for monitoring and supporting children's development(2016) Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, . Article in Press. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2016.08.015
- Freene, N., Cruz, B.D.P., Davey, R. Assessing the 'active couch potato' phenomenon in cardiac rehabilitation: Rationale and study protocol (2016) BMC Health Services Research, 16 (1), art. no. 75, . DOI: 10.1186/s12913-016-1313-x
- Hungerford, C., Prosser, B, Davey, R., Clark, S. The Australian 'grey nomad' and aged care nurse practitioner models of practice: A case study analysis (2016) Rural and Remote Health, 16 (2), art. no. 3647
- Charlesworth K, Jamieson M, Butler C, Davey R. Transformational change in healthcare: An examination of four case studies. Accepted May 2015. Australian Health Review.
- De Bourdeaudhuij I, Van Dyck D, Salvo D, Davey R, Reis R.S, Schofield G, Sarmiento O.L, Mitas J, Christiansen L.B, MacFarlane D, Sugiyama T, Aguinaga-Ontoso I, Owen N, Conway T.L, Sallis J.F. International study of perceived neighbourhood environmental attributes and Body Mass Index: IPEN Adult study in 12 countries. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2015 doi:10.1186/s12966-015-0228-y.
- Telford RM, Telford RD, Cochrane T, Cunningham RB, Olive LS, Davey R, The influence of sport club participation on physical activity, fitness and body fat during childhood and adolescence: the LOOK Longitudinal Study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2015.04.008
- Thomas J, Carson C, Peterson G, Walton S, Hammer K, Naunton M, Davey R, Spelman T, Dettwiller P, Kyle G, Cooper G, Baby K. Therapeutic potential of tea tree oil for scabies: a review. Accepted for publication, May 2015. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene.
- Volker N, Williams L, Davey R, Cochrane T. The community-based lifestyle modification workforce: an underutilised asset for cardiovascular disease prevention. Accepted for publication Australian Journal of Primary Health (March 2015).
- Knight-Agarwal C, Williams L, Davis D, Davey R, Cox R, Clarke A. Development and pilot testing of the 'Eating4Two' smart phone application to monitor gestational weight gain. Accepted March 2015 JMIR mHealth and uHealth.
- Moore M., Yeatman H., Davey R. Who's afraid of the nanny state? Freedom, regulation and public health -symposium/special issue of Public Health. J Public Health. Accepted for publication March 2015
- Brazendale, K., Beets, MW., Bornstein, DB., Moore JB., Pate, RR., Weaver, RG., Falck, RS., Chandler, JL., Andersen, LB., Anderssen, SA., Cardon, G., Cooper, A., Davey, R., Froberg, K., Hallal, PC., Janz, KF., Kordas, K., Kriemler, S., Puder, JJ., Reilly, JJ., SAlmon, J., Sardinha, LB., Timperio, A., van Sluijs, EMF. Equating accelerometer estimates among youth: the Rosetta Stone 2. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, (2015), doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2015.02.006.
- Volker N, Davey R, Wiliams L, Cochrane T. The community-based lifestyle modification workforce: an underutilised asset for cardiovascular disease prevention. Australian Journal of Primary Health. Accepted for publication February 2015.
- Charlesworth K, Jamieson M, Butler C, Davey R. The future health care. Australian Health Review. 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/AH14243.
- Prosser. B, Davey R. Progress in centralized ethics review processes: implications for multi-site health evaluations. Accepted for publication in Evaluation and Program Planning, December 2014.
- Hungerford, C., Prosser, B., & Davey, R. (2014) The key role of nurse researchers in the evaluation of Nurse Practitioner models of practice. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice [Accepted November 12, 2014. Ms. No. RTNP-D-14-00037].
- Adams MA, Frank LD, Schipperijn J, Smith G, Chapman J, Christiansen LB, Coffee N, Salvo D, du Toit L, Dygrÿn J, Hino AAF, Lai PC, Mavoa S, Pinzón JD, Van de Weghe N, Cerin E, Davey R, Macfarlane D, Owen N, Sallis JF, International variation in neighborhood walkability, transit, and recreation environments using geographic information systems: the IPEN adult study. International Journal of Health Geographics. 2014, 13:43 doi: 10.1186/1476-072X-13-43
- Morris J., Davey R., Waddington G. What is Orthopaedic Triage? A Systematic Review". Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Accepted for publication Aug 2014.
- Maddox R, Davey R, Lovett R, van der Sterren A, Corbett J, Cochrane T. Factors Influencing Smoking among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in the Australian Capital Territory: A Mixed Method Study. International Journal of Health, Wellness and Society, In press 2014.
- Giles-Corti B, Badland H, Mavoa S, Turrell G, Bull F, Boruff B, Pettit C, Redman S, Bauman A, Hooper P, Villanueva K, Astell-Burt, Feng X, Learnihan V, Davey R, Grenfell R, Thackway S. Reconnecting urban planning with health: A protocol for the development and validation of national liveability indicators associated with non-communicable disease risk behaviours and health outcomes. Public Health Research and Practice (in press accepted September 1, 2014).
- Clark S.J, Parker R.M., Davey R. Nurse Practitioners in Aged Care: Documentary Analysis of Successful Project Proposals. Qual Health Res published online 2 September 2014. DOI: 10.1177/1049732314548691
- Maddox R, Davey R, Lovett R, van der Sterren A, Corbett J, Cochrane T.A Systematic Review Protocol: Social Network Analysis of Tobacco Use. In Press: BioMed Central Systematic Review Protocols 2014.
- Delfien Van Dyck D, Cerin E, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Hinckson E, Reis, R, Davey R, Sarmiento O, Mitas J, Troelsen J, Macfarlane D, Salvo D, Aguinaga-Ontoso I, Owen N, Cain K, Sallis J. International Study of Objectively-measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Time with Body Mass Index and Obesity: IPEN Adult Study. In Press: Int J Obesity, 2014.
- Cochrane T, Davey R, Gidlow C, Iqbal Z, Kumar J, Mawby Y and Chambers R, 2014. Contribution of individual risk factor changes to reductions in population absolute cardiovascular risk, BioMed Research International doi:10.1155/2014/626205
- Cerin E, Cain KL, Conway TL, Van Dyck D, Hinckson E, Schipperijn J, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Owen N, Davey R, Hino AA, Mitáš J, Orzanco-Garralda R, Salvo D, Sarmiento OL, Christiansen LB, Macfarlane DJ, Schofield G, Sallis JF, 2014. Neighborhood Environments and Objectively Measured Physical Activity in 11 Countries. Med Sci Sports Exerc. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24781892.
- Sugiyama T, Cerin E, Owen N, Oyeyemi AL, Conway TL, Van Dyck D, Schipperijn J, Macfarlane DJ, Salvo D, Reis RS, Mitáš J, Sarmiento OL, Davey R, Schofield G, Orzanco-Garralda R, Sallis JF, 2014. Perceived neighbourhood environmental attributes associated with adults' recreational walking: IPEN Adult study in 12 countries. Health Place, 28:22-30.
- Volker N, Davey R, Cochrane T, Williams L, Clancy T, 2014. Improving prevention of cardiovascular disease in primary health care, enhancing systems across sectors: Protocol for the Model for Prevention (MoFoP) study. JMIR Res Protoc 3(3):e33). doi:10.2196/resprot.2882
- Freene N, Waddington G, Chesworth, Davey R, Cochrane T, 2014. Community Group Exercise versus Physiotherapist-led home-based physical activity program: barriers, enablers and preferences in middle-aged adults. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice; 30(2):85-93, 2014. doi: 10.3109/09593985.2013.816894.
- Prosser, B., Davey R, 2014. Letter: Issues for central ethics review of aged care service evaluations. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 38 no. 1. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12154
- Knight-Agarwal C.R, Davey R, Davis D, 2014. The views and attitudes of health professionals providing antenatal care to women with a high BMI: A qualitative research study. Women and Birth, 27(2), 138-144.
- Freene N, Waddington G, Chesworth, Davey R, Cochrane T, 2013. Validating two self-report physical activity measures in middle-aged adults completing a group exercise or home-based physical activity program. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 10.1016/j.jsams.2013.11.002, 2013.
- Freene N, Waddington G, Chesworth, Davey R, Cochrane T, 2013. Longitudinal comparison of a physiotherapist-led home-based and group-based program for increasing physical activity in community-dwelling middle-aged adults. Australian Journal of Primary Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/PY13114. Published online: 21 November 2013.
- Maddox R, Davey R, Cochrane T, Lovett R, van der Sterren A, 2013. Study protocol - Indigenous Australian social networks and the impact on smoking policy and programs in Australia: protocol for a mixed-method prospective study. BMC Public Health, 24;13(1):879
- Prosser, B., Davey R, Clark, S & Parker, R 2013. 'Developing a public health policy-research nexus: an evaluation of Nurse Practitioner models in aged care', Evaluation and Program Planning, vol. 40, October, pp. 55-63
- Clarke S, Parker R.M, Davey R. Aged care nurse practitioners in Australia: evidence for the development of their role. Accepted for publication in August 2013. Australian Health Review, 37(5), 594-601. .
- Telford R.M, Telford R.D, Cunningham R.B, Cochrane T, Davey R, Waddington G, 2103. Longitudinal patterns of physical activity in children aged 8 to 12 years. The LOOK study. Accepted for Publication International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 10: 81-92.
- Kerr J, Sallis JF, Owen N, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Cerin E, Reis R, Sarmiento O,Frömel K, Mitáš J, Troelsen J, Christiansen LB, Macfarlane D, Salvo D, Schofield G, Badland H, Guillen-Grima F, Aguinaga-Ontoso I, Davey R, Bauman A, Saelens BE, Riddoch C, Ainsworth B, Pratt M, Schmid T, Frank LD, Adams MA, Conway TL, Cain K, Van Dyck D, Bracy NL, 2013. Advancing science and policy through a coordinated international study of physical activity and built environments: IPEN methods. J Phys Act Health 10, 581 – 601
- Prosser B, Davey R, Clark S, Parker R, 2013. 'Developing a public health policy-research nexus: an evaluation of Nurse Practitioner models in aged care', Evaluation and Program Planning, Volume 40, Pages 55–63
- Freene N, Waddington G, Chesworth Wendy, Davey R, Cochrane T, 2013. Physiotherapist-led home-based physical activity program vs community group exercise for middle-aged adults: quasi-experimental comparison. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, 3(2), 229-237.
- Gidlow C, Cochrane T, Davey R, Beloe M, Chambers R, Kumar J, Mawby Y, Iqbal Z, 2013. One-year cardiovascular risk and quality of life changes in participants of a health trainer service. Perspectives in Public Health, 1757913913484419, first published on May 8, 2013.
- Davey R, Cochrane T, 2013. Association of physical inactivity with circulatory disease events and hospital treatment costs. Clin Epidemiol, 17;5:111-8. doi: 10.2147/CLEP.S44213.
- Cerin, E., Conway, T.L., Cain, K.L., Kerr, J., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Owen, N., Reis, R.S., Sarmiento, O.L., Hinckson, E.A., Salvo, D., Christiansen, L.B., MacFarlane, D.J., Davey, R, Mitas, J., Aguinaga-Ontoso, I., and Sallis, J.F, 2013. Sharing good NEWS across the world: Developing comparable scores across 12 countries for the Neighborhood Environment Walkability Scale (NEWS). BMC Public Health, 309. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-309. URL: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/13/309
- Cochrane T, Davey R, Iqbal Z, Gidlow C, Kumar J, Chambers R, Mawby Y, 2012. NHS health checks through general practice: randomised trial of population cardiovascular risk reduction. BMC Public Health, 1;12:944. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-944.
- Flett K, Clark-Carter D, Grogan S, Davey R 2013. How effective are physical appearance interventions in changing smoking perceptions, attitudes and behaviours? A systematic review Tob Control 22:2 74-79 Published Online First: 9 May 2012 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050236).
- Cochrane T, Davey R et al 2012. NHS health checks through general practice: randomised trial of population cardiovascular risk reduction. BMC Public Health, 12:944 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-944.
- Ellis N, Gidlow C, Davey R 2012. The Importance of "Scoping" Within Social Marketing for the Promotion of Positive Mental Health: A Case Study. American Journal Lifestyle Medicine DOI: 10.1177/1559827611411645
- Heart Foundation. Dynamic population modelling of risk factors for chronic disease. CIA Davey. 2012. $180,000
- DoHA National Evaluation. Nurse Practitioners – Models of Practice in Aged Care. CIA Davey, Gibson, Goss, Parker et al. 2011. $1,869,432
- ACT Government Health Directorate. Better outcomes for people with high CVD risk in ACT General practice. CIA Davey, Bellis, Sant. 2011. $670,000
- ACT Government Health Directorate. Research-Policy Scholarship Masters by Research. CIA Davey. 2011. $60,000
- ACT Government Health Directorate. CeRAPH Successful Performance Review. Davey, Berry, Gibson. 2011. $200,000
- ACT Government Health Directorate. ACT Healthy Communities Initiative. CIA Davey.
- ACT Government Health Directorate. Prevention & Treatment of Chronic Disease. CIA Davey. 2010. $45,000
- ACT Government Health Directorate. Tobacco Control Strategies for Indigenous Australians. CIA Davey. 2010. $75,000
- SmartStart for Kids. Physical Activity Interventions for Primary School Children. CIA Davey. 2010. $45,000
Prior to UC
- Dept Health England.Randomised Controlled Trial – Lifestyle Support for patients with high CVD risk in General Practice. CIA Davey, Cochrane T. 2009. £177,200 (approx. $275,000)
- Dept Health England. Community-led approaches to physical activity and healthy eating. CIA Davey, Grogan. 2009. £255,000 (approx. $395,500)
- Economic and Social Research Council. Knowledge Exchange and Transfer Partnership. *CIA Davey, Grogan. 2009. £100,200 (approx. $150,000)
- Dept Health England.Smoking in 18-40 year old women: an appearance related intervention. CIA Grogan, CIB Davey. 2009. £88,000 (approx. $136,000)
- 1990. Award from the British Council to give an invited series of seminars at the Limnological Institute, Holland.
- 1989-1990. Royal Society London Fellowship
- 1990. Award from the British Council to give an invited series of seminars at the Limnological Institute, Holland.
- 1989-1990. Royal Society London Fellowship
- 1991-1992. Royal Society London Fellowship
- 1989. Annual award from the Women's Association Edinburgh for travel to Rome, (presentation - International Conference).
- 1986. Prize for best presentation at the International Conference: Mossbauer Spectroscopy, Melbourne, Australia.
- 1985. Royal Society Chemistry prize for best postgraduate paper presentation.