How To Apply
- Contact Faculty Representatives
- Complete the Application Form
- Attach Supporting Documentation
- Submit Application
- Closing Dates
- What Happens Next?
Before you submit your application, we recommend you make contact with potential supervisors, by visiting the Discipline pages or contacting one of the Faculty Representatives below. The representative will then put you in contact with supervisors who have the expertise to supervise you, depending on your desired research topic.
Please select a representative from the list below based on your desired research topic (e.g. if your research topic relates to Psychology you would contact the Health Faculty Representative).
|Arts and Design||Architecture;
TESOL/Foreign Language Teaching;
International Studies; and
|Dr Eleni Petraki
(02) 6201 5219
Research on public policy, public administration, citizen engagement and participation
|Dr Selen Ercan
(02) 6201 5774
Business, Government and Law
||Accounting, Banking and Finance;
Management and Marketing (Including Tourism); and
Urban & Regional Planning.
|You do not need to make contact with potential supervisors. Submit your completed application and the Faculty will source supervisors.|
|Education, Science, Technology and Mathematics||Community Studies;
Curriculum Studies; and
Forensic Science; and
Maths and Statistics; and
|Professor George Cho
(02) 6201 5650
|Health||Nursing and Midwifery;
Nutrition and Dietetics;
|Dr Ben Rattray
(02) 6201 5145
|Institute for Applied Ecology||Ecology; and Earth and Environmental Sciences.||Professor Ross Thompson
(02) 6201 5041
|National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling||Social, Economic and Business Microdata and Microsimulation Modelling.||Professor Laurie Brown
(02) 6201 2770
|Murray-Darling Basin Futures||Multidisciplinary Collaborative Research Network
Social and Economic Modelling;
Public Health; and Urban and Regional Planning.
|Please see Murray-Darling CRN Recruitment|
Complete the Research Degree Admission Application Form
For all Faculty of Business, Government and Law applicants, please read the additional entry requirements found here before completing your application.
For all Faculty of Education applicants, please read the additional entry requirements found here before completing your application.
You must complete all sections to avoid delays in processing.
Please ensure all supporting documentation is submitted, and that documents are certified. Use the checklist at the back of the application form to ensure you have completed all sections and attached all relevant documentations.
Please ensure you submit:
- A completed Research Degree Admission Application Form (above)
- Your transcripts (including the key to transcript results) and testamurs. Please provide both original language and English translation (from a certified translator).
- A research proposal (no more than 2 pages)
- 2 referees reports (PDF) or (Word)
- Your resume/CV
- 2 names of potential supervisors
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (e.g. proof of tertiary study in English, Academic IELTS (requirement of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band) or TOEFL score)
If you are also applying for a Scholarship (PhD Applicants Only) please ensure you submit:
- Application for Research Degree Scholarship Form (PDF) (Word)
- Research Scholarship Publication or Other Research Output Details Form (PDF) (Word)
- Scholarship Applicant Relevant Research or Professional Experience Form (PDF) (Word)
Please note: Please submit all documents as single sided to assist in the timely processing of your application.
Submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Research Students' Office
University of Canberra ACT 2601
(p) (02) 6201 5199 (within Australia) or +61 2 6201 5199 (from outside Australia)
(f) +61 2 6201 5391
Doctor of Philosophy, Professional Doctorate and Master by Research*
- 31 May (for Research Semester 2 commencement)
- 31 October (for Research Semester 1 commencement)
*Faculty of Business, Government and Law
- 31 January (for Research Semester 2 commencement
- 31 July (for Research Semester 1 commencement)
Please see our Scholarships webpage for current closing dates
Professional Doctorate and Master by Research Candidature may apply throughout the year*(commencing study as per semester start date), however if you would like to apply for a scholarship your application must be submitted before 31 October.
Note: scholarships are only available for Semester 1 commencement.
Please allow up to 18 weeks for your offer letter, and organisation of flights and accommodation. The Australian diplomatic mission in your home country can give you current and detailed information on visa procedures. For further information and the location of the nearest Australian Embassy / Consulate please visit www.diac.gov.au
What Happens Next?
- Acknowledgment - When your application is received, an email will be sent to you or your agent.
- Assessment of Application - The assessment process is thorough, therefore applications may take up to eight week to process. If you are applying for a University of Canberra scholarship, processing time may be significantly longer. Delays will also occur during the December/January break or if the faculty needs to undertake a more detailed assessment.
Incomplete applications and those requiring further clarification will also take longer. To ensure timely processing, please follow the application form instructions carefully.
If you are applying for an external scholarship or sponsorship please be aware that you may need an offer letter to be used from the University BEFORE you can submit your application to the external funding body. Please keep this in mind when applying to the University so as to allow sufficient time for the processing of your application.
- Offer Letter - If you meet all admission requirements, you will be issued with an offer letter. If you do not meet all requirements you may be offered a conditional offer. The conditions will be outlined in the conditional offer letter.
- Accepting your offer - domestic applicants must complete the Acceptance Advice Form and return it via email, fax or mail.
International applicants must pay fees, complete the Acceptance Advice Form and return it via email, fax or mail.
Your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) will be processed once payment receipt and acceptance advice have been received.
Please ensure that you have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. Information on how to organise OSHC will be available on your offer letter.
- Enrolment - you are required to enrol in a unit/s every semester. If you fail to enrol before Census date each semester, you will be discontinued (and will need to reapply to gain admission into your degree).