Print this page

Financial assistance for domestic students

You may be eligible for financial help to study.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or hold a permanent visa, there are a number of financial assistance schemes, scholarships and loan options available to you. 

Australian Government schemes for domestic students

  • Youth Allowance for students aged under 25.
  • Austudy for students aged 25 and over.
  • ABSTUDY for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.  You should submit your claim for ABSTUDY via Centrelink as soon as possible.  You can also register an intent to claim ABSTUDY. This will help you receive your payments from the earliest possible date.  You may also be able to claim ABSTUDY over the phone by calling Centrelink 13 23 17.
  • Centrelink information for students enrolling in Winter Term.
  • FEE-HELP for postgraduate and other fee-paying students.
  • HECS-HELP for students enrolled in Commonwealth supported places.  A HECS-HELP loan will cover all or part of the student contribution amount.
  • OS-HELP for domestic students wishing to undertake part of their studies abroad.

Non-government schemes

Scholarships and prizes