The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation Program
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation Program helps to build the skills needed for study at the University of Canberra. It is designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who do not meet University admission requirements but have a reasonable chance of success in higher education.
The Program also provides entry to University for those students who have not studied for some years, and would like to develop their communication and study skills needed for success at university.
- Conditional offers to the University of Canberra are based on your nominated degree
- Applicants must achieve equivalent ATAR for entry into your nominated degree
- Some courses through this program are not available (see course exceptions for pathway programs for domestic students)
The program is delivered through the UC College in close collaboration with the Ngunnawal Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Support Centre.
If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander potential student who didn't meet the admission requirements for university but feel you have a reasonable chance of success then this program would suit you. Your previous education and any relevant work experience will be taken into consideration.
You can do the program full-time for 1 semester or the part time equivalent.
You will study:
- 1 or 2 regular university units of your choice, which count toward your degree
- 2 foundation units: Foundation Study Skills and Foundation Communication Skills.
Further information about the Program can be found on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation Program Flyer (PDF 230Kb).
If you live in the ACT region:
- Download and complete the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation Program application form (638Kb PDF) and return it to us using the contact details under More information
- Contact the Ngunnawal Higher Education Centre, or University of Canberra College to organise a time for an informal interview with the program coordinator and the director of the Ngunnawal Indigenous Higher Education Centre
If you reside in a location outside the ACT region:
- Download and complete the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foundation Program application form (638Kb PDF) and the written application form and return them to us using the contact details under 'More information'
- The program coordinator and/or the director from the Ngunnawal Indigenous Higher Education Centre will contact you to discuss your application