Print this page

The application

Applications for Semester 2, 2017 (August - November) open on March 1.

Information for Semester Length Study Abroad & Exchange


If you are an ISEP student, your official documents should be sent directly from ISEP. All other students must meet application requirements and upload the documents listed below:

  • Digital copy with English translation (PDF format only*) of all transcripts and qualifications. (stamped or signed by your university for certification) 
  • Academic Reference (required only if you have a fail grade on your transcript)
  • Digital colour copy of your passport (photo & details page) or a recent photo of yourself if you are still waiting on your passport. (PDF format only*) 
  • Digital typed statement of purpose - no longer than 1 page about why you want to study at the University of Canberra. (PDF format only*)
  • Digital certified copy of English Language Proficiency if required. (PDF format only*)
  • The name and e-mail address for your exchange advisor or agent (ISEP advisor if you are an ISEP student)
  • Decide if you would like to guarantee on campus housing at the University of Canberra and choose which option you want to guarantee. Visit our Accommodation Page to assist you and read the terms and conditions of a guarantee placement at the bottom of the website.
  • Letter of Offer – students may be requested for additional information pertaining to Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirements prior to being issued a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).  Please ensure that you read your offer letter thoroughly and provide any requested additional information.
  • Be sure you can find at least 4 classes (units) and 2 back up units for each semester you plan to study at the University of Canberra. Please use our helpful guide on Choosing Classes at UC. You will not be asked to list your unit choices on the application, but you will be sent self-enrolment instructions by e-mail after you accept your University of Canberra Offer and receive your COE (Confirmation of Enrolment: a document required to obtain your student visa). If there are specific units that you MUST take for credit to your home university and you need confirmation before the self-enrolment details are available, please e-mail the unit codes to to request pre-approval. 

Important to know

  • For best results, please open the application form in Google Chrome or Firefox.
  • Uploaded documents should not be password protected or have any special security features as this prevents us from receiving them through the portal.

*Only PDF format is accepted. If you have digital copies of your documents but they are not in PDF format, you may want to download CutePDF, free software for creating PDFs.

**Please note: As of July 1, 2016, Australian Immigration changed and simplified the student visa process. There is now only one type of student visa: Subclass 500. It is extremely important that students are extremely detail oriented while filling out their visa application as an application missing any required information will be denied without refund. While students can reapply, they would also be required to pay a second time. Please read all information carefully and contact immigration if there are any questions or concerns BEFORE submitting an application. Due to these changes, students applying for a student visa may be required to submit a GTE form with their application to UC to help ensure that students are prepared for their visa application and any questions they may receive from Australian Immigration. Please submit the UC application as early as possible to allow sufficient time for the visa application. 

If you have any questions, please e-mail

Application Deadlines

Semester 1 (February - May)
Applications Open: September 1
Applications Close: November 15

Semester 2 (August - November)
Applications Open: February 15
Applications Close: April 30

What next?

Visit our after you apply page.