Print this page

Research applications

Applications to study a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), professional doctorate, or master level course by research at UC must be made direct to the University via the Research Degree Application Form.

A number of supporting documents must also be provided, including:

  • a copy of your academic transcripts, including the key to transcript results and testamurs (please provide both the original language and the English translation from a certified translator)
  • a research proposal that is no more than 2 pages long (BGL applicants see below)
  • two (2) Research Degree Referees
  • your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • names of potential supervisors
  • proof of English Language Proficiency, either proof of tertiary study in English or Academic IELTS or TOEFL score (if you are an international student).

Applicants are encouraged to contact a faculty or research institute HDR representative to discuss your application and research proposal before applying.

Additional requirements for BGL applicants

Faculty of Business, Government and Law applicants are required to submit a research proposal using the BGL research proposal template, available from the Faculty of Business, Government and Law Application Process page.

How to submit your research application

Before you submit your application ensure that you:

Submit your Research Degree Application Form and supporting documents:

By email to:


By post to:
Graduate Research
University of Canberra ACT 2601

For information about how your application is processed and how to accept your offer, see the research applications closing dates and approval process.

Notes about research applications

  • Research Scholarships are only available for Semester 1 commencement of each academic year.
  • Please allow up to 18 weeks to receive your Letter of Offer, organisation of flights and accommodation.
  • If you are an international student the Australian Diplomatic Mission in your home country can give you current and detailed information on visa procedures.
  • If you are an international student and you require information on the nearest Australian Embassy/Consulate please visit The Department of Immigration and Border Protection.