The Master of Strategic Communication, and its preparatory Graduate Certificate, (both delivered only online) professionally prepare senior managers to work effectively as communication and integrated marketing communication leaders in the business, public and not-for profit sectors.
The Masters' degree provides a vital competitive edge for executives who deal with issues and change, or brand and product communication, and the promotion of services. Graduates acquire a significant strategic focus above and beyond tactical day to-day media-centric practice.
This degree develops high-level analytic and practical knowledge and skills. It has two elective specialisations:
- The strategic communication elective focuses on an advanced understanding of human communication and the systematic research and analysis that is needed to manage mid-to-long term public affairs issues, and to work as a strategic counsellor.
- The marketing communication elective focuses on building an advanced knowledge of the theory and practice of marketing communication and developing effective integrated marketing communication strategies, including brand integration, and international and sectorial communication.
Both electives explore what it means to be strategic in a wide range of situations and organisational settings, and the course combines academic and industry-based teaching, and an individual research project.
Putting Your Skills Into Practice
Strategic Communication students will develop the analytical and practical knowledge and skills that are essential in the strategic application of professional communication, to achieve an organisation’s objectives.
Students develop their analytical appraisal and strategic thinking capabilities as they engage with complex issues relating to communication processes and their effectiveness. They learn to think through issues, analyse and evaluate situations, then use their insights and creativity to generate ideas to solve problems or maximise opportunities.
They develop high level written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively present arguments and ideas.
Graduates are equipped to lead organizational groups and to counsel senior management on communication matters.
Graduates will enjoy a variety of roles including:
- Strategic communication counsellor
- Public affairs or marketing communication director
- Public relations director
- Marketing communication manager
- Senior communication manager
- Senior public relations or marketing communication consultant
- Communication strategist
- Marketing communication specialist
- Senior communication officer