Print this page

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get credit for my studies overseas?

Yes, as long as you stay enrolled in an approved program of study and your course convenor approves your overseas enrolment.

Does the program extend my degree by a semester or a year?

No, not unless you do not stay within an approved study program or you fail some classes.

Do I have to pay expensive overseas tuition fees?

No. You are liable to pay only University of Canberra fees and receive a tuition fee waiver overseas.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes. Please check the funding opportunities page.

How early should I start planning for my exchange?

Application deadlines are between 3 - 6 months prior to the commencement of the overseas semester. To prepare a strong application, you should give yourself at least 3 months prior to the deadline to research your program.

I’m a first year student. Am I eligible for the program?

Students must be in at least the second year of their degree before they apply to go on exchange.

I’m a post-graduate student. Am I eligible for the program?

The exchange program is an undergraduate program, however, you may be eligible to study on exchange as a post-graduate student.  Please contact the Study Abroad and Exchange Manager for more information.

I want to attend a university that isn’t listed on the University website. Is this possible?

The universities listed on the UC website as Student Exchange partners have a reciprocal agreement with UC, to ensure that tuition fees are waived at your host uni. Universities not affiliated with the UC exchange program will not be interested in taking UC students under the tuition waiver as it comes as a cost to them.

You may well be able to participate in a Study Abroad semester. A Study Abroad semester will involve you paying fees directly to the host university and taking a leave of absence from your studies at UC. Contact Study Abroad and Exchange for more details.

Can I contact my host university about my application?

We request that you don’t contact any of the overseas universities. Much like UC, your host university will be dealing with a large number of incoming and outgoing exchange students, and they receive hundreds of emails a week from students requesting information. Answers to many of the questions you’ll need to ask about the universities can be found with a bit of thorough searching on their websites. Information about your application will be sent to us here so we will keep you up to date. We will be able to let you know when and if it is suitable to contact your host uni.

Where do I live while on exchange?

Many exchange universities provide dormitory accommodation on campus, however, where there is a high demand for this accommodation; you can expect to live in share housing with other students.

Must I be fluent in a foreign language?

If you choose a program that instructs in a foreign language, you will be expected to have a strong level of fluency to be able to cope otherwise your grades may suffer, however most universities around the world are increasingly offering more and more classes in English.

Can I work while on exchange?

Work rights for international students vary from country to country. In the USA and Canada, you can work for a limited number of hours on campus only. In other countries you can work part-time off-campus. In some others, you will not be allowed to work at all. Click here for more information on different Embassies.

Can I get a work visa to increase my chances of finding a job?

This is not likely. As long as you are on a student visa, you are normally not permitted to hold any other visa. Students who hold citizenship in the host country may have more flexible work rights. Please check all immigration matters very carefully before your departure.

Can I still apply for the exchange if I have failed a subject?

You may still be eligible if you have failed one subject if you can demonstrate that there were extenuating circumstances which contributed to the failure. Please consult with the Study Abroad and Exchange Manager for more information.

Can I take courses just for interest on exchange?

Your primary goal must be to take courses overseas that can be credited to your UC degree. If you have extra time at your host university above and beyond the approved study program, you may be able to take an additional course for interest if the host university allows this.

Can I defer a place once it has been offered to me?

Due to increased demand for exchange places, if you choose not to take up a place after it has been offered, you will be expected to re-apply for the exchange program by the next relevant deadline.

Can I go on exchange for a year instead of a semester?

Most students go on exchange for one semester. There are a limited number of places at each host university each year. One of the goals of the exchange program is to send as many students overseas as possible, so a year long placement may not be an option for your country of choice.

Student & Staff Login

Student Login Staff Login